Home >    Community    > Forums
Topic Title: First time Through (FTQ, FPY)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/05/2009 11:51 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
06/05/2009 10:15 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Andrés Martínez

I heard that FTQ and FPY are lean measurements for strategies, where can i found information about how to use them or calculate and what exactly are for?

books, magazines will help, thnx
06/06/2009 03:47 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
MarkRosenthal
Mark Rosenthal

There are lots of articles and sources on the Internet about "First Time Quality," "First Pass Yield", "Rolled Throughput Yield" and dozens of other metrics. My first suggestion is to take a couple of these terms, drop them into Google and see what you turn up.

In general, they are designed to sort out true quality from reworked quality, and uncover the hidden costs that tend to accumulate in the system when "quality" is achieved with a lot of correction and rework.

However, as aggregated metrics, they really do not give you anything directly actionable. You have to get to the shop floor yourself, look at the real problems as they occur, and deal with them the correct way. If you do this, you will see these metrics improve.

The metrics, by themselves, will contribute nothing to your quality, nor will "measuring people so they will perform better."
06/08/2009 09:34 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
CANTULA
Luis Cantu

Dear Andres Martinez, I got the training of FTQ from an automotive company. This are just a few ideas.

What is First Time Quality?
First Time Quality is a measure of the number of pieces rejected in a manufacturing process versus the total number of pieces attempted.

FTQ can be viewed as a two phase approach:

Immediate action and containment
Whenever alarm limits are exceeded
Helps ensure customer protection
Continual Improvement
Management objective to reduce quantity of rejects and operational cost
Leadership MUST ensure, support and follow-up with implementation of FTQ in their facility to be successful

Why is FTQ important?
Because if we don't make good parts the first time, we have to "inspect in" quality
- We know inspection is at best 85% effective
- Therefore, anytime FTQ is greater than 0, we are dependent on inspection to protect the customer
To reduce manufacturing costs and defects through continual improvement (FTQ Tracker or Step Down Chart are tools to utilize)
To monitor process stability and react quickly to potential issues (Alarm limits and process monitoring sheets).

How is First Time Quality calculated?
FTQ is reported in parts per million (PPM) defective
It can be measured at any step in the manufacturing process where parts are rejected especially where the defect is originated.
It is calculated by counting the number of pieces rejected versus the total number of pieces attempted
The total number of pieces attempted includes all good pieces produced plus all pieces rejected
Pieces rejected are all parts scrapped or reworked prior to usage by subsequent processes.

FIRST PASS YIELD (FPY)

FPY = The number of units completely defect free / The number of units started

Why is first pass yield important?
Rolled throughput yield (RTY) can be thought of as the first pass yield of an entire process across multiple process steps.
It is the proportion of units completing an entire process (sequence of steps) without ever having to be reworked or repaired.

Regards

Luis Cantu
06/15/2009 09:11 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Lonnie Wilson

Andres,

I think it is still available from Motorola, but check out, Six Sigma Producibility Analysis and Process Characterization by Mikel J. Harry and J. Ronald Lawson. It is a quick read and covers fpy very well.

Good luck and stay in touch,

Lonnie Wilson
06/15/2009 09:11 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Robert_Simonis
Robert Simonis

FTQ and FPY are tactical metrics. They can be useful on the shopfloor to drive improvements at a key point in the process.

Like many metrics, they can drive the wrong behavior at the operational and strategic levels so distribute with caution.

No action without data, no data without action.
06/22/2009 08:57 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Andrés Martínez

Mark, Luis, lonnie and Robert

Thanks a lot, the information you all gave me helps.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.