Topic Title: Leader Standwork for Mfg Support Groups
Topic Summary: Leader Standwork for Mfg Support Groups
Created On: 07/23/2013 06:13 PM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
07/24/2013 11:51 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
ndavison
Noah Davison

Greetings, I'm interested to see examples of Leader Standard Work for Manufacturing Support Functions, especially Facilities and Engineering. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
07/24/2013 02:39 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Boeing_Lean
Ken Hunt

Noah,

I know a really good contact for this. Send me a PM and I will get the information to you.

Ken
07/24/2013 02:39 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Sam Tomas

Noah, assuming your leader is a manager type that has people reporting to him or her, a popular list of management functions is suggested in many introductory Management text books as POSDC, or Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing and Controlling. Each of these functions can in turn be further defioned in terms of more detailed second level functions. These second level functions however would probably vary by company and by individual managers, and would further depend upon how specific and detailed you wanted them to be.

I'm not sure there is a specific list of Standard Work items for individuals identified as Leaders, but perhaps enough members of this foruum can suggest items so that you might consider compiling them into a suggested list for further review.

Sam Tomas
07/25/2013 11:59 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Jorn
Jorn Bast

Noah, in my company we like to think about Leader Standard Work as a layered audit system.

In our case, the yearly Policy Deployment process is the basis for our LSW agenda. Within the PD process we deploy what is important to us, from exec level to line level, for the next FY.

Once through, we look at our deployment plans and define which activities are key to us. We define the kind of behavior we expect to see all over the place (starting from the site'e top managemnet level, all the way to operators) and the key performance indicators and their expected development over the next year.

From there and bottom up we set the audit agenda for each management level as well as all "Pinpointing" activities (e.g. safety observations).

The closer to the process, the bigger the weight of proces performance related audit points (incl. 5S). Line supervisor's LSW accounts for almost 70% of his working time.

Than we build audit and pinpointing agenda for middle - and top management levels. Top managment level still shall have 20% of the daily work agenda dedicated to Leader Standard Work - getting us away from the desk and onto the shopfloor and walking the talk. However, the farer away from the process the more system's integraty (5S, EHS, LSW, QA, e.g.) becomes the audit-object.

We instrument our LSW with Kamishibai Cards and - Posts.

All of the above is, in our case, applicable to all functions on site.

Hope that helps.

Jorn
07/25/2013 12:02 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
JimsSearch
James Thornton

Good morning Noah,

I don't know if you're interested but the book that had the best "nuts and bolts" example of basic standard work for Lean Leadership that I have found is in Mann's "Creating a Lean Culture: Tools to Sustain Lean Conversions". The Amazon link is:

http://www.amazon.com/Creating...ywords=culture+mann#_

It was given for management/supervision but I believe the model could be adjusted for any purpose.

Best to you,

Jim
07/26/2013 11:43 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
ndavison
Noah Davison

Thanks Ken. I"m not sure what "PM" is, but I definitely would appreciate any assistance.
07/26/2013 11:55 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Boeing_Lean
Ken Hunt

PM = private message. You'll find where to send it on the upper left portion of this page.
07/26/2013 02:57 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
ndavison
Noah Davison

Thanks to each of you who replied. I appreciate the responses and great suggestions.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.