Home >    Community    > Forums
Topic Title: Hoshin X-Matrix
Topic Summary: Anyone have any real X-matraces they would share?
Created On: 11/24/2009 10:09 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
11/24/2009 11:00 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Brian Naylor

I am working on our first formal attempt at Hoshin planning. I am struggling just a little connecting everything up through the metrics & correlations. From the two examples I have seen, there seems to be a lot of latitude regarding how the X-matrix is setup. So, I wondered if anyone had any actual examples that they would share to give me some additional insights. Thanks.

Brian
11/24/2009 04:03 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
MarkRosenthal
Mark Rosenthal

Do either of those examples work for you?
Then use that one.

There are no formal standards to comply with in building a matrix, or using any other form or tool. The point is to have a solid, linked relationship between
- How things are now.
- What you want them to be.
- What actions are being taken to close the gap.
- Which actions you predict to have what effect (so you can evaluate whether they are working or not).

Some people have found the X-matrix to be a useful tool to summarize this information and the flowdown, but there are two key points to keep in mind:
- Plenty of companies that use the X-matrix DON'T actually do hoshin planning. (or they are pretending to).
- Other companies do EXCELLENT hoshin planning, but don't use the X-matrix to do it. (Some of those companies are just doing really good planning and don't even KNOW they are using the same methods as "hoshin kanri.")

So - if you think the x-matrix is a good tool for you, study your examples and find the one that makes the most sense to you - try to modify it (if necessary) to your own situation. Once you have something that is easy to use and explain, then you have what you need.
11/25/2009 08:48 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
duecesevenOS
Kris Hallan

Also remember that Hoshin Planning is actually the companies biggest and most important PDCA cycle. Even the success of the company is a scientific experiment. The X-Matrix is simply one possible tool to help with the Doing (or Deployment) part of the cycle.

Plan - Develop your True North and key strategies as well as decide upon a standard methodology for deployment (i.e. X-Matrix, A3, Balanced Scorecard, Common Accountability, etc...it doesn't matter as long as it is standard and you are evaluating what works best for you).

Do - Deploy that plan to every part of the organization using the standard methodology you have decided upon. The most important distiction (in my mind) between Hoshin planning and traditional planning is that this deployment is completely cross functional. Instead of deploying within functional groups (engineering, quality, finance, etc.) it is deployed across silos. The purpose of having strategies is to get your team working together to attain the same goals regardless of functional title.

Check - I actually think that this is the most important (and unfortunately least emphasized) step in strategy deployment. During deployment, you have to start setting up SYSTEMS for checking. Ideally all of these systems are visual systems that are obvious to anyone. The ideal state is to be able to walk into ANY part of the organization and KNOW if that group, cell, value stream, etc is doing its part to execute the Plan established. In a sense, all of the visual systems that we create for lean become tools for checking the status of our strategy. Ideally, your strategy deployment should be driving the reduction of kanban cards in your pull system for instance. In a well aligned organization, the operators would know why we are reducing the inventory in relation to the overall strategy.

Adjust - Establish systems to ensure alignment. Your systems for deployment and checking will NOT work the first time. You will end up with a Checking system at the floor level that looks fine while the value stream is struggling (or vice versa). To ensure alignment continues to improve, you have to set up systems for accountability. This is where you set up leader standard work and ongoing gemba walks to ensure everyone is seeing the systems the same way and reacting to them on a continuous basis. Adjustment also means evaluating the effectiveness of your overall plan. So things like monthly and quarterly reviews need to get scheduled and held. Discipline is key at this stage.
11/30/2009 02:41 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
GaryL
Gary Lieser

Brian,
Here is an example of a Hoshin plan. Hope this helps,
Gary

Edited: 11/30/2009 at 02:40 PM by Lean Moderator

12/01/2009 09:11 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Arcos
Hector Arcos

Excellent example. Next step is how we are going to implement it each level of the organization (strategy deployment).
12/01/2009 12:02 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Ojas
Ojas Gokhale

This is another example (It's real, with manipulated data). As you will notice all the examples will have a common theme to them.

Set your long term objectives
Translate them to near term achievable's
Translate these to specific measurable's
Translate these to specific projects for different departments.

You do this at each level of management. Attached example is at a higher level. The east side in this example becomes the south for the person reporting to the owner of the attached PDM(X-Matrix). This way each person or group knows exactly what is expected and is doing things that really matter to the company. Use of bowler charts makes it easier to track progress.

As Mark mentioned, how you use the tool is up to you. There is no specific thumb rule to the use of this tool.

PDM.xls PDM.xls  (29 KB)
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.