Topic Title: Single Piece Flow Video
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/13/2010 04:18 PM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
04/13/2010 04:26 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
John DiTore

In the late '90's the plant where I worked had a popular lean video that a few Hewlett Packard employees put together to demonstrate single piece flow (I believe they were at a HP executive meeting when they did the demo). As they sat at a long table employees assembled a "product" using batch techniques that then showed the benefits of the change to SPF. I would have expected the video to be available for purchse at LEI or another lean based site but I cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone in the lean community know of this video and where I may be able to get a copy? Thanks.
04/14/2010 11:52 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
DaveNave
Dave Nave

John DiTore,

The video is called "STOCKLESS" PRODUCTION - "PUSH" OUT THE OLD.... "PULL" IN THE NEW. Presented by (Hewlett Packard's) Greeley Division At The Manufacturing Management Meeting, March 16, 1983 in Monterey (I believe they are referring to Greeley Colorado, and Monterey, California).

I agree, even thought the image quality is marginal, the video you describe is the most powerful example I have ever seen. Not sure if that is because of the content or if it was one of my biggest 'AHA' moments. Or maybe because of regional pride, since I grew up near the Greeley plant.

Unfortunately I have been searching for a source to purchase a copy for several years, with no luck. I have only seen the video on VHS tape in Corporate and University Libraries. Never have found a copy for sale.

Google 'Stockless Production' results in several references. Some even have the video for viewing. Although in small format.

John Deere created something similar in 1985, called Styro Inc, and someone made a video about burning toast. Ops, burning toast was Dr. Deming's example of common practice of American Management (You burn...I'll scrape). The video is about making toast (27 years after the H/P video) - 'Toast KAIZEN' it think it is called.

If you find a source to purchase H/P's Stockless Production video, please let me know at davenave@aol.com

Thanks for bringing up this reference.

Dave
04/14/2010 03:32 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
MarkRosenthal
Mark Rosenthal

Consider that the exercise is really very simple to set up - three people at a table assembling and taping up boxes. You can make your own version, and probably improve on the quality of the presentation.

Consider how much more powerful it would be for your company if it were your own managers doing that demonstration.
04/15/2010 10:27 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
scodanibbio
Carlo Scodanibbio

Hi John,

I have just noted your post.

I have a number of good videos on "Batch vs. One-Piece-Flow Production" recorded during my training courses. Actually, in all my Lean Thinking and Lean Manufacturing training courses I always organise the batch-vs-continuous-flow" exercise with my delegates; video-record the lot; edit it; insert some nice musical background; put it in a DVD that I give to all my delegates together with a spread-sheet illustrating the differences between the two styles of production and the benefits of the former compared to the latter (in terms of reduction in throughput time, improvement in productivity, reduction of quality defectiveness, and enhancement of people morale).
My delegates enjoy the experiment to death and consider it a fantastic eye-opener.

If you wish I can send you a copy of one of my DVDs.

All the best

Carlo Scodanibbio
mail@scodanibbio.com
04/19/2010 09:29 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
GidierGentet
Gidier Gentet

Hi Carlo
I'm product engineer in semiconductors and we produce semiconductors by batches hihg mix / low volume with a high traceability needs. I think One piece FLow could be a solution to improve our through put but it's difficult to define how to change from batches to One Piece Flow. Another difficulty is to explain the benefits to my collegue, and I'm sure that video is one of the best way to get the good practices.
I'm interesting in your video to build a game adapted to our own buisness.
Is it possible to send me a copy ?

Bst rgds

didier.gentet@e2v.com
04/19/2010 09:30 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
scodanibbio
Carlo Scodanibbio

Hi everyone,

I don't believe I am having such an overwhelming response to my little post to John who was looking for the batch/single-piece video.

It was not my intention, but if I keep receiving requests for my video - that I will fulfil with pleasure - I will have to charge a reasonable fee, also to cover packaging and despatching.

Thanks for understanding

Carlo
mail@scodanibbio.com
04/22/2010 02:51 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Robert_Simonis
Robert Simonis

The Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) has many excellent videos for sale including many different processes and many on Lean. They have one video entitled "Single Piece Flow" that I think is great. On their website most of the video transcripts are avialable to view prior to purchase, you can also view a short trailer. Go to www.sme.org and look for their bookstore or store.
05/21/2012 11:08 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
M. Fazlulla

Dear Mr Carlo Scodanibbio

Read you post on videos on "Batch vs. One-Piece-Flow Production" . Appears to be interesting. I would like to watch the videos . Could you e mail them to me at the following mail ID: fazaljune23@gmail.com

Sincerely yours
M.Fazlulla
05/25/2012 11:57 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
jbillh
Bill Hanover

Hi Folks,

Keeping it simple has become really important in my Lean practice over the years.

One way of showing single piece flow and batch processing that I have used is a simple process of using Post-It Notes in a simulated manufacturing environment.

The abbreviated version of it goes like this:

[Batch Processing]

1. Gather 8 - 12 people around table(s)

2. The first person (beginning of process) puts their name on 5 or 10 notes (make the batch size anything you like... 5 works just fine.)

3. When the first person finishes all (5) in the batch they give them to the "stockroom."

4. The stockroom person checks them in (gotta' control that inventory you know ; - )

5 The second person in the system requests the parts from the stockroom and puts their name on each of the 5 notes before sending them back to the stockroom...

And so it goes until all 8 or 12 names are on each note at the end of the line. By the way... the customer ordered 5 notes with 10 names on them.

Of course you time how long this process takes to get 5 units to the end of the line and count up all the WIP. Yeah, it's a lot.

Note: You can omit the stockroom if that just seems like an exaggeration to your team but it is still a reality in many plants. Either way... batches are slower!

[Single Piece Flow]

1. Gather 8 - 12 people around table(s)

2. The first person (beginning of process) puts their name on 1 note and passes it on to the next operation (stockroom nonsense avoided!)

3. This process continues until 5 notes with all signatures arrive at the end of the line.

4. Again, time how long it took to get the customer 5 units and count-up your WIP. Yeah, it's a lot less ; - )

If you really want to have some fun with it and explore other lean principles you can add other names (different revs or models) or shapes and move tables around and facilitate some internal customer / supplier dialogue about how they can best serve each other... method of part delivery etc. TONS of fun and educational lessons you can add to this exercise.

So... should I make a video about this process or is this all clear enough?

Leaner is Better!

Bill
Bill Hanover
http://www.tpslean.com
06/05/2012 09:04 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
LION
Emmanuel Jallas

Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.