Topic Summary: Lean in car repair work shops
Created On: 01/14/2011 05:41 AM
Linear : Threading
1 2 Next Last unread
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
01/19/2011 09:14 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Marc Wolters

Hello,
I'm working on my diploma thesis with the topic lean in car repair work shops. Does anyone have experiences in transforming and implementing the known methods and tools from production to this field? I need to know, how far this business is in implementing lean methods in work shops and what the relevant lean principals, methods and tools applicated in work shops are.
I would be glad, if anyone could help me. Thanks!

Marc
01/19/2011 09:19 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Moderator_Jane
Jane Bulnes-Fowles

Marc,
Full disclosure: These are books that LEI sells on our site, though they are not published by us.

I believe Creating Lean Dealers takes on exactly this topic - car repair at a dealership. Much of it, I believe is based on real work done by the authors with actual dealerships. You can find it here on our site.
Also, Jim Womack and Dan jones take up this issue in Lean Solutions. Again you can find it on our site and no doubt on Amazon or in your local bookstore as well.
I hope the rest of our lean community can point you to some additional resources.

Regards,
Jane
Lean Learning Materials Manager
01/21/2011 04:55 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
MarkLivingston
Mark Livingston

Good day Marc!

You have chosen an excellent topic for your thesis (in my biased opinion). As an automotive professional, I would state that the Automotive Service Aftermarket has been slow in adapting the Lean Philosophy, although there are many businesses that are well underway.

As Jane mentions, there are a number of reference books available to choose from.

I have been involved in 2 lean conversions, and I will be involved in numerous others over the next 12 months. The 2 previous conversions function well in the Lean Model and the second is continuing to implement Lean initiatives and utilize various tools on a regular basis.

I would be willing to work with you as you request. Please advise of your interest and good luck.

Mark
02/02/2011 03:02 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
DaveGl
Dave Glenney

Hi Mark & Marc,

I agree an excellent topic. Based on my experience with lean transformation in the auto repair industry in Canada - it is very limited and really could use the benefits of lean.

I have been working with a local used auto dealership in Southern Ontario for the past couple of years and we have had some success in implementing lean.

I have implemented lean in a number of railcar repair shops in Canda with great success.

I would be interested in comparing notes with you both.

Thanks Dave - Southern Ontario - Canada
03/17/2011 10:43 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Marc Wolters

Hi Jane,
thanks a lot for your recommendations!

Mark, do you know of any other reference books?

The last weeks I worked on an online survey to identify the potentials for Lean Methods in BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen and Audi Dealerships. Furthermore, I talked to some guys in repair shops and still have some appointments outstanding. It seems the most challanging is the exact job description and estimation of workload to get the jobs flowing through the shop.

Dave, you said you had some success in implementing lean in a dealership. What exactly were things you optimized and wath were the tools you worked with?

Looking forward for your responses,

Thanks, Marc
05/24/2011 10:38 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Dave_UK
David Brunt

Hi Marc
This is Dave Brunt, co author of Creating Lean Dealers. I only just came across this thread but to answer your issue, you are correct in thinking that you need a good upfront plan. The better the information obtained, the better the flow of the car. There's lots that can be done, such as standardised work for the booking process and also pre diagnosing the work when the car arrives so you can separate predictable and unpredictable work.

Most of this is in the book. There's not much else in the public domain on lean in this area but you might also look at the published work on job shops. A good book is called Job Shop Lean, I think published by productivity press.
07/22/2011 12:29 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
IsSeik
Darius Seikis

Yes car repair service is an ideal place to implement lean. Usually you should start from 5S. After 5S method is more or less adopted, just imagine all the process: a car arrives, waits for to be repaired, diagnosis happens and so on. You can treat it in the same way as a production process - car plus spare parts at input and repaired car is a production in the end. Even warehousing principles are the same.
08/15/2011 01:46 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
samuelyusok
Samuel Yusok

hi, i am samuel, actually, this topic gives me an interest to reply. i am also a student whose project is to fix my car audi. what is exciting in this automotive job, when you did this by yourself. then you by this DIY, all your audi repair questions can be answered because you will master the technique in this job.
09/26/2011 10:54 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Charriot
Shakir Tas

Hi Dave,

I am really interested in the topic. Would you mind sharing some of your notes?
11/28/2011 03:44 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
rainandsun
Rain Sun

me too, i am trying to push my thesis that the project will be based on the car repair services. i am thinking that this will give me high grades. lol. actually i've been collecting some auto repair videos to support my thesis.
12/02/2011 12:00 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Hal Davis

What process are you looking at?
12/02/2011 12:01 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Hal Davis

My email is hdavis@collisionsolution.com
12/05/2011 05:24 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
johnpatram
John Patram

Darius--as far as potential lean tools within the auto repair shop (no matter if it is a family owned >2 person shop or a large corporate operation there are fundamental applications of baseline lean such as:

1. 5S - Visual Workplace
2. Kanban of RIP, WIP & FG
3. Scheduling based upon Takt time--includes proper staffing
4. Value Stream Mapping--based upon common work content grouping
5. Workplace Triage--based upon time based auto repair job content (time and effort based)
6. Poka Yoke--insuring quality work and one touch resolution is achieved
7. Standardized work--continuous improvement baseline

At a higher level would be simulation modeling based upon the outcome of background work content time and cost estimates by VS families. This is beneficial in optimizing labor force and revenue throughout plus capacity planning.

John
Industrial Eng.
Moen Inc.
04/02/2012 12:59 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
jayeshboraste
Jayesh Boraste

Hi Dave ,

I am Jayesh from India.I am working on same project .I am dealing with multi brand car repair service center.Please guide me on follwing topics :

1.Careful Scheduling of customer appointment (Here concern is that Customer do not arrives as per schedule for appointment & picking repaired car)
2.Prediagnosing car repair
3.seperating jobs according to their complexity.

Regards,
Jayesh
04/04/2012 04:20 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
SetupGuy
Thomas Warda

My son works as a Service Technician at a very successful local Lexus (Toyota) dealership. While the facilities and people are both top notch, I find it interesting that TPS is not known or understood by anyone involved. I've even volunteered to teach them a few of the tools such as 5S and Visual Controls - just to get them started. So even Toyota hasn't extended TPS as far as one might think in their own organization.
11/30/2012 04:03 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
PrasadVelaga
Prasad Velaga

Originally posted by: johnpatram

At a higher level would be simulation modeling based upon the outcome of background work content time and cost estimates by VS families. This is beneficial in optimizing labor force and revenue throughout plus capacity planning.

This is about capacity vs lead time in collision repair shops.

At any collision repair shop, vehicles arrive at unpredictable times for unpredictable repair work. The shop workers usually have different skill sets and therefore, they can perform more than one type of operations. Some operations need machines along with skilled workers. For every received vehicle, the shop has to fix the shortest achievable due date after assessing repair work for it and the shop must also honor the due date. For any given demand pattern, that is, vehicle arrival pattern (which is random), the shop capacity (machines and skilled workers) determines the average lead time, average work in process (WIP), throughput and resource utilization.

Any arriving vehicle usually waits for some time in the system. Those waiting times can be eliminated by having sufficiently large capacity but this is not a cost-effective strategy. Higher capacity causes lower lead times and WIP and higher throughput and resource underutilization (and probably higher cost). On the other hand, lower capacity has the opposite effects. How does a shop relate capacity to these performance indices?

How does a shop determine a right resource mix (involving multi-skilled workers) to balance the lead time and resource utilization level when vehicles arrive at unpredictable times for unpredictable repair work?

In my opinion, one of the methods to answer these questions is Monte Carlo simulation.

Prasad
Optisol
10/23/2013 10:28 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Blanc
Blanc K.

Hello Marc,

I'm also working on my master thesis which is about the same topic (lean management in workshops). The difference is only that it's about a hungarian repair workshop (private-owned SME in a small car-market). There aren't many literatures in this topic so it would be really helpful if you could recommend me some books or journalsin this topic, and give me some advices, experiences pls :) Thanks in advance: Blanc
10/28/2013 05:45 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
SharonB
Sharon Bennett

Hi Marc - I'm the Lean Process Improvement manager for I-CAR. I-CAR, Inter-Industry Conference on Auto Collision Repair, is a not-for-profit training organization that develops and delivers technical training programs to professionals in all areas of the Collision Repair Inter-Industr.

Improving the key performance metrics, including cycle time, touch time, CSI and estimating accuracy (supplement frequency), at collision repair facilities is an area that we've worked on with the industry.

Have you explored the collision repair industry magazines (Collision Week, Fender Bender, Dealer, etc...) as a source to learn about how Lean is being applied in collision repair facilities? I've found a number of good articles on how they've used Lean tools and techniques to improve their operations.

I'm interested in learning more about your thesis.

Sharon

sharon.bennett@i-car.com
11/01/2013 05:00 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Hal Davis

What is the Monte Carlo simulation?
11/05/2013 05:54 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
PrasadVelaga
Prasad Velaga

Originally posted by: 191702

What is the Monte Carlo simulation?

Your repair system consists of a lot of uncertainty in the sense that

You do not know in advance when the next vehicle will arrive at your shop and what kind of repair it will need
You do not know the precise repair requirements of each vehicle until until you tear it down
Procurement lead time may not be fully certain for a part
Process times for some operations may have a lot of natural variation
An operation may have to be repeated unexpectedly due to a quality issue
Machines may be down and workers may absent unexpectedly.

Monte Carlo simulation is a scientific method based on a statistical model to study and analyze the dynamic workflow of such systems. By mimicking the dynamic behavior of the system, it helps understand various aspects of the system and helps in efficient decision making. It eliminates subjective understanding of systems and greatly facilitates quick what-if analysis. Since it involves a lot of computations, it is always implemented on computers.

Execution of Monte Carlo simulation requires some experience, information pertaining to statistical nature of variables and an appropriate software tool.

Prasad
Optisol
FORUMS : Service : Lean in car repair work shops

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.