Topic Title: Makigami Mapping
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/22/2008 09:57 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
12/22/2008 10:12 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
BrianSwanson25
Brian Swanson

I have noticed the term Makigami Mapping used a several times lately. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find out any information about it. Can anyone tell me about it or lead me to more information?
12/22/2008 04:08 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Boeing_Lean
Ken Hunt

If you do a Google search on Makigami you should find all that you will need to know.

Ken
12/30/2008 09:59 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Brian Levitan

Hi Ken,

I did a google search as you suggested.
There were 10 hits.
About 4 explained what Makigami Mapping is, and showed examples.
None explained how to do it.

Any further help ?

blevitan@bigpond.net.au
12/30/2008 09:59 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
BrianSwanson25
Brian Swanson

I have done Google searches and only find two websites that have any relevant information. Neither of them contain any detailed explanation of how to use the tool or even specifics about how it works. Has anybody used it? What is the advantage? How does it work?
01/05/2009 09:24 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
chm
Christian Maegaard

Dear 64169 and BrianSwanson25

Makigami Mapping is like doing 3 things at the same time.

1. By describing the process at analysis you create an over view in the mind of the participants. That why you shall always have the right employees involved in the process.

This is what we do ! You have to check and recheck that what you map is what you do.

have a chance to create the ideal process un les you know exactly what you do. If you don't have a description that is true you don't know what and where you waste your time and money.

2. Describing the process with posters on a piece of paper (flypaper or on brown paper or what ever you have of paper that can be rolled up and kept safe until you need it to be presented again).you also make no. 1 memo of what you have worked with. That is important because you can take a brake and check things with out loosing track.

You need the "memo" when your and your team make the first draft of the ideal process.

If you don't think about investment, level of know how and like wise things how would you and your team fulfil the working process that you are about to improve. This is your second mapping or no 2 memo.

By using Makigami mapping you have fulfilled a lean project before you even got started. You get rite of all the things that everybody think is boring - taking a memo and distribute it. If some one likes to have a memo anyway take a picture mapping and distribute that.

By describing the road from memo 1 to memo 2 you find all the elements in the project plan that brings you from now a days to the future.

If you have involved all relevant personal in the two memo's, everybody knows what is going to happen and the employees will be the most active parts in the process. Your employees are not trained in transforming processes so they will loose track and that's where you can use the memo's to get them back on track.

3. By doing the mapping with the employs who are doing the work you want to describe and letting them take the most active part in the description you ad to the social capital in the company. That is where you relay gain progress.

If the employees feel thy have taken active action in the Lean process it becomes there success and if you as a project manager secure that the employees has success you will have success. By having success through others you will full fill projects ahead of schedule and at a lower budget than estimated.

You can write a book about it. But then you get theoretical and lean is tools and common sense more than anything eels.

Good luck on the lean road

and a happy new year

Ulrik
01/05/2009 09:32 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Bos69
Jeroen Bos

We've done several Makigami's recently in our company.
The advantage of a Makigami above a VSM is that you can visualize a value stream of any process, seperated per (sub) department or function.

I have some presentations and a event report as an example.
In short you do the same as you would do a VSM:
1) You start gathering all the 'players' (owners, users and stakeholders) in the process you want to look at;
2) You make a 'birds eye view' (this is a summary of your process in about 5 steps) of your process and define who's the 'customer' of your process (outcome)
3) you set up a current state process map (process steps horizontally, function or department vertically)
4) identify for each step: clock time, action time, value adding time, losses, problems and data/ information carrier used in each process step.
5) add up number of tranfers (action from one department/ function to another), number of data carriers/ documents/screens, add up all times
6) Make future state (birds eye view first)
7) define action plan for implementation

This is in short how to setup a Makigami event.
If you need more information, please send me a e-mail
01/05/2009 01:08 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Bos69
Jeroen Bos

Here's an example how current and future state could look like

01/06/2009 08:43 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Ronald Turkett

I don't see that much difference in Makigami mapping and Value Stream Mapping. I have led VSM using the butcher paper and sticky notes that contained enough information to make a complete analysis of the process. Additional visual charts were used to show line balancing and cycle time analysis. The most detailed CSM covered four walls of a large conference room with two levels of maps.

A common misconception is that Makigami Mapping, BPR (business process reengineering) and Six Sigma are "Tools" or processes that go beyond TPS. It is claimed to achieve breakthrough improvement where Toyota only gets incremental continuous improvement. A careful understanding of the Toyota Production System reveals that TPS is an entire value stream process from Final Customer to Sales and Marketing to Product Design to Process Design to Manufacturing to Logistics to the Suppliers (Tier 1 - Tier X). Most of the Lean focus is within the four walls of production.

Use what is most effective for your organization based on proven techniques. The entire organization should have a high focus on the value adder. All should know and understand the Vision, Mission, Values and Behaviors of the organization. Management must lead by example and be consistent. A learning organization in a problem solving and continuous improvement culture must be in place. This is easily said and documented by "check marks" on evaluation sheets but is rarely true. Having all employees be problem solvers beats a few highly trained problem solvers armed with statistical problem solving tools that are applied less than 5% of the time. I have used Six Sigma many times to achieve "breakthrough" results but this was supported by the problem solving culture.

Ron Turkett
01/12/2009 04:52 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
msbremer
Michael Bremer

Jeroen,
Thanks for the example you shared and your overview. If you have a report on the process, I would like to see it, although your notes seem fairly comprehensive. If you have further information please send it to michael@cumberlandchicago.com

I'm curious about Roles and Responsibilities (R&R). The Makigami map you shared looks somewhat like a traditional functional flow or 'swim lane' map with additional information added on media, volumes, timing, etc. Do you also define R&R on the same wall chart, or would that be done elsewhere?

Thanks again and best wishes to all for the new year,
Michael Bremer
01/23/2009 11:39 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
guyatcis
Guy Dixon

Jeroen,

Thanks for sharing the example. It appears to me that Makigami mapping co-ordinates a number of activities that I would already run on a Value Stream Analysis or Rapid Improvement Event kaikaku onto one document. These are: Current and Future state mapping, VSM, handoff diagram, but it also clarifies some of the information that is not always captured correctly in VSM such as exactly what the opportunities are at every step in the process. I like it as a co-ordinating document for the activities undertaken in the kaikaku, but the action plan part of the event report seems a little light on detail. My view is that an A3 format might serve better as an event report, as an A3 is a live document that captures the current progress towards the future state, rather than a 'file & forget' report.
02/24/2009 12:26 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
The_Leprachaun
Alan Crean

Hi Brian,

I see a few answers here but get the impression that you are not fully sorted with the how and why of makigami.

Here are a few referance points

This is a decent site that explains its history HERE

This is a link to a case study that used Makigami PDF

This is a short video I had done on how to capture data in a way that does not relay on a big room and a long roll of paper VIDEO

Good luck with it
Cheers
Alan
07/15/2009 09:30 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Dhunter
Djin Schott

Hi,

Does anyone has more rules or more examples for constructing a Makigami map.
I still struggle with filling in this map.
even tough Jeroen's example is great I still search for some rules.

Please contact me if you have any additional information, that would be great!
Thanks
Djin

email: d.schott@hde.nl
07/19/2009 09:52 PM
Print this message

Lennart van Bolderick

Ziet er goed uit Jeroen! dank
07/29/2009 04:29 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Yogesh N Nanjappa

Dear Jeroen,

Many thanks for the detailed explanation on Makigami. Please provide me the makigami example (excel sheet) in english.

thanks
Yogesh
07/29/2013 10:55 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
HarshalKulkarni
Harshal Kulkarni

Can I get more detailed example in English
12/11/2013 07:02 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
JohnEvans
John Evans

Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.