Home >    Community    > Forums
Topic Title: Daily Metrics for Human Resources
Topic Summary: Seeking ideas on valuable daily metrics for HR.
Created On: 08/31/2012 02:37 PM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
08/31/2012 02:42 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
JenniferMarchal
Jennifer Marchal

Currently, the healthcare organization I work for is seeking to implement Lean Daily Management, extending into the Human Resources department. We are struggling to find meaningful metrics for daily tracking. The common HR metrics are more conducive to weekly/monthly tracking. I'm seeking to benchmark other HR departments for insights into what metrics they may tracking for their Lean Daily Management (Gemba or MDI) boards. Please respond or private message me with any ideas. My email is: jem2144@bjc.org

Thank you in advance for any guidance!
09/04/2012 10:48 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Kenneth Lawther

Hi,

I suppose the question I would ask is "what are the things you do on a daily basis that are important to your customers?" Then track (and more to the point discuss) those. This works best of all in an HR services environment

A couple of examples:

If you are working in a high throughput recruitment operation e.g. large call centre are you exactly where you need to be on interviews, adverts, offers?

If you are running an "ask HR" operation what is your level of queries / number of chase queries

Once you have your mind around those daily measures then the next question is why do I get those activities to do and what could I do to stop them / make them easier.

This blog post that I wrote might help: http://www.squawkpoint.com/201...e-best-service/

Many of the HR BP type activities don't really lend themselves to this approach as you say.

Hope that helps

Edited: 09/04/2012 at 10:50 AM by Lean Moderator
09/21/2012 03:15 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Robert_ELSE_Inc
Robert Drescher

Hi Jennifer

This is not only for you, but for many people out there. We all need to slow down and think when starting Lean efforts in different functions, facilities, or value streams. In one environment a daily metric is great yet in other places the better metric could be monthly, weekly, hourly, or even some less or for that matter anyplace in between any of these. Don';t worry about a metrics time span, rather worry about what message it will delivers and what behaviour and actions it creates. Even in a manufacturing setting the scale of a period depends on what is actually being made.

It is fine if one area uses a daily measure while others use hourly, or weekly, or even monthly periods, after all they are different processes. Just make sure the the metrics are driving the right changes instead of the wrong ones.

Robert Drescher
ELSE Inc.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.