Topic Title: Welcome!
Topic Summary: New to Lean Accounting?
Created On: 08/09/2019 12:01 PM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
08/09/2019 12:01 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Jean Cunningham

This is a new Forum topic here at LEI. Welcome! I am really interested to see the areas of interest and to participate in the discussions.

Do you know what Lean Accounting is?
Who cares about this subject?

I will share with you a recent experience related to using lean inside an accounting process. To get us started off.

A joint team of accounting, purchasing and receiving looked created a value stream map of process to pay a vendor. There were repeated checks and approvals in the process, but even at the very last step of cutting a payment (check or electronic) there were errors in missing documents, etc. Where would you start to improve this process?
08/16/2019 09:12 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Robert_Simonis
Robert Simonis

I understand the difference between Lean Accounting and accounting for lean. I am interested in the topic and application of both.

Concerning your example, I would start as you did, with visualization of the problem. I would use a process flow diagram instead of a VSM, but that is my preference. Next step is to fix the problems causing the errors to the client. Fix quality before productivity. .
08/17/2019 08:46 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Jean Cunningham

Robert,
Welcome! On fixing quality, I cannot agree more. When defects reduced the process will look different. First though I would look for any big steps to elimininate completely. But in either case work on those defects!! I would use the process map tool to get closer to understanding specifically root cause of a specific area of defects. But getting to action regardless of the tool is the most important!

I hope you will continue to input to this forum. And bring your friends! Jean
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.