Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/10/2008 08:33 AM
Linear : Threading
1 2 Next Last unread
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
02/11/2008 09:59 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
ekonom
Rede Cddcd

Hi!

I wunder if there is somebody who have a good "lean exercises" for classroom training, or maybe a simple lean game, and somebody who is willing to share this information with me. I will use it for student trainings...

/best regards/sweden
05/09/2008 11:21 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
gabriella
Gabriela Drescher

You can find a lean exercise on http://www.implement-lean-manufacturing.com

Moderator Note: In the spirit of full disclosure, Gabriela is associated with the cited website.

Edited: 05/09/2008 at 11:21 AM by Lean Moderator
05/09/2008 12:31 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
sidcoda
Mike Boyte

I have used the lego airplane from visionary products for over eight years and love it. It is fun, highly interactive, and everyone I've trained using this product has liked it (200+). Please email me if you need any additional information. mboyte@amerimaxbp.com
05/12/2008 04:28 PM
Print this message

Robert Forder

I have used a simple Tennis Ball Exercise. You use 3 tennis balls and 7 to 10 people with two or more groups (ideal). The object is to have everyone touch each ball in order (repeatable process) while lifting restrictions each round.
I have attached files. Hope it works for you.

Bob Forder

05/16/2008 08:52 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Rajdeep Ghai

I need a 'long lean simulation' that can run over 3-5 days as a stand along training, covering various aspects/ tools of lean through several rounds.

Any ideas/ leads?

Something off the shelf is ok but not too expensive. Preferrably if I can get some instructions/ design or flow that can be used with lego blocks or something just as handy.

Thanks

Raj
05/27/2008 11:17 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
mikedean
Mike Dean

I have used several trainings for the past 15 years to drive home and implement the lean principles. They are highly interactive and incorporate many of the typical concepts but simplifies the learning, which I've found the participants enjoy and learn more from. I have these available if you are interested. It's a set of 3 individual trainings (process flow/mapping, 1 piece flow, and line balancing). They are not free because they contain many components along with a CD of the presentation including detailed presenter notes. Each set comes complete and you can also get them as stand alone sessions. You can email me at mdean7216@hotmail.com if you want more information on these.
05/27/2008 11:18 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
MACK
McKay Womack

I use the simulations found here.theleanman.com

he has a 9 loop simulation that could last a long time for value stream mapping. I love it.

Good Luck.
05/27/2008 04:45 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Brad Wyrick

You may want to consider the following Lean & Six Sigma Integration Simulation. It creates an understanding of how ALL the pieces of Lean/Sigma fit together to increase flow; reduce costs and generate revenue plus the order that they should be integrated into the change process.

The simulation covers the following:
. Focused layouts (Cell design)
. 5s and visual management of inventory
. Inventory control
. Supplier control
. Overtime - how to use it effectively
. Increased yield potential
. Reduced variation in the processes
. Kanban systems in a pull environment
. Pull systems and their effectiveness over push
. Reduction of inventory

The simulation is run on a module by module basis and each module is compared to a forecast built at the beginning. Through this process it is proven graphically that Lean/Sigma is much more effective overall than any other operating process.

The attachment will show you how the simulation and forecast works as different Lean and Six Sigma Tools are introduced into the process.

You can download Module 7 'Reduction of Variation & Higher Yield Potential' from the Home Page by clicking the Lean & Six Sigma Integration Simulation link:

http://www.wyrickenterprises.com

05/28/2008 03:50 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
MACK
McKay Womack

I just checked out your games and they are very simple and very effective. Thank you for posting those, I will use them next time I do a training!
05/30/2008 01:06 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Paul Roberts

I too have used the lego airplane training game. I have found it to be very easy to use/implement, very effective in cementing LEAN concepts into the employees mind (much better than just trying to explain). I still use it today, and even with the same group of people when retraining is needed. I would highly recommend this to anyone. When I first found about this simulation the idea or concept was free and I just had to purchase the individual pieces from LEGO's (they sold me the quantity of the individual pieces that I needed and it was very inexpensive). I understand it there are several good vendors that will sell the individual pieces and instructions for a reasonable price. If anyone has any questions, shoot me an email (proberts@accutron-inc.com)

Edited: 05/30/2008 at 02:04 PM by Lean Moderator
06/11/2008 08:43 AM
Print this message

DJP
David Patrickus

I have also been frustrated in finding tools/games that are fun for people to understand Lean. Attached is something that we have found that has worked great for us in our 5S initiatives. We usually do this at the very beginning to try and make things fun from the start.

5S_GAME.PPT 5S_GAME.PPT  (94 KB)
06/11/2008 12:07 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
davidcf
David Camacho

David.

The information about your 5s game it´s good. Thanks for sharing your games
in this forum, I played already with a coworker your activity and it was fun.

Regards
06/20/2008 08:59 AM
Print this message

Robert Forder

David:
Thank you for a simple and fun approach to the teaching and learning concepts of 5S. It is one of the best yet simple examples I have seen. I will be using this one with all my teams.
07/03/2008 03:20 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Boeing_Lean
Ken Hunt

I use a tool called "The 5S Numbers Game" when I am training groups in 5S. This is a fun and very effective excercise.I can send you the link if you like. My email address is ken.l.hunt@boeing.com.
06/22/2009 08:58 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
anneke
Anneke De Wit

Dear Bob,

Challenged by your tennisball game, I tried to play this in a small group. However we did not know how.
Could you send me some more info how to play this game in practice?

one is starting with three balls: he gives one to the right, that one gives also this ball to the right, than the starting person takes the second ball and gives it to the right etc.??
what do we do wrong, because I think this is not the idea of the game...

thanks in advance.
anneke
06/23/2009 08:52 AM
Print this message

Robert Forder

Anneke:
The idea of this game is to show how Continuous Improvement can be done over and over when you think you have improved something as far as you can. It also shows the ability of teams to overcome obstacles.
You start with a group standing in a circle. The start person holds all three balls and starts passing them to the person to their right one ball at a time. You put restrictions on them for a reason, because that is how we tend to do it in the real world. Each person can only touch one ball at a time and they have to pass it to the next person, not throw it. This establishes a reapeatable process that has to be documented so that the repeatablity is verifiable. A dropped ball is a defect and the process has to be restarted. When the team has practiced this enough that they feel they are good at it they ask for a "Run at Rate" or for the Facilitator (Customer) to time them and their time is recorded on the time sheet. You then run this 4 or more times, each time loosening up the restriction while still keeping to a "QA" requirement of the same rotation or the same persons touching the ball at the same time every time. That is the repeatable that holds to a "Standard Practice" that customers want to see to put quality into their parts. Each round is timed to show how it is possible to improve, also it is better with more than one group to create that compitition that exists in the real world between companies competing for contacts based on performance and price.

I will include the files to follow again. I hope this helps.

Bob

07/31/2009 04:47 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Sean_
Sean Mulcahey

Sidcoda- Could you provide more information on your lego airplane training?
01/13/2011 03:30 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Anshulmh
Anshul Maheshwari

HI,
do you have any sample solutions to the exercise? and props that might help teams to be creative?
Thanks!
05/27/2011 11:34 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Eveline Jansen

Hi Bob

I'm struggling a little bit with the ball game. I'm wondering what kind of improvements can be created in order to reduce the leadtime and number of defets.
please give me some hints so i can facilitate this game.

thanks , Eveline
05/31/2011 09:51 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
5sLean
Curtis Lane

Hi All,

I have three lean games listed on my site and they are not expensive. I've had nothing but good feedback on these so far.

http://www.5sleanmanufacturing.com/Lean_games_s/6.htm

Email me if you have any questions and have fun!

Stephan
http://www.AnythingLean.com
FORUMS : Manufacturing : Lean game

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.