Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/20/2008 09:30 AM
Linear : Threading
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last unread
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
03/20/2008 10:14 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
JBAND
John Hale

Hi All

I have been asked to put together a training package for team leaders who are going to carryout 5s audits in their area of responsibility.

All of the team leaders have been through the 5s training, so I need to tailor the training specifically to the auditing of the areas and not just repeat the 5s training. I'm struggling for ways to do this, and wondered if anyone has experience of training in the auditing process that they could share with me.

Thanks
03/20/2008 10:59 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
duecesevenOS
Kris Hallan

Do you have audit criteria? If your going to train on audits, the only requirement is a good audit sheet that covers the key points in 5S your trying to address. A good audit sheet is fairly difficult to put together but there are quite a few things that you want to look for in a well maintained 5S area. Make the audit difficult and set a high standard. We do our audit out of 50 points and an area that hasn't applied any 5S might get a score of 5 out of 50. A perfect score should be almost impossible to attain.

I think the best way to train auditing is to actually go out and do a bunch of audits. A 5S audit is inherently subjective so the only way to really "calibrate" your auditors is to go threw a few different areas and audit them. Then when you disagree on different scores you can justify why you might score one way as opposed to another. This is also an opertunity improve your audit criteria. Your going to realize real quickly that some of the questions don't apply to all areas.

After a few audits, the scores for each auditor should be fairly close to the same for the same area. Then they are trained. Like any other gage (and an auditor is a gage of 5S) auditors need to be periodically calibrated. We try to do a "calibration" where auditors get together and audit a couple areas every 3-6 months. This gives us an opertunity to improve and update the audit sheets as well.
03/24/2008 03:47 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
MarkRosenthal
Mark Rosenthal

An audit is a "CHECK" in PDCA.
An audit should be checking the PROCESS of 5S, not 5S itself, though you are going to be looking at the state of the 5S in a large measure to do it.

A few things to consider:
The local team leaders should be doing the primary checking. It is up to them, not the audit, to maintain the process.

The audit process should be a teaching process, not a scoring process.
You are teaching the local team leaders what to look for, and how to check themselves.

To paraphrase Drew Cary, "The points don't matter." They don't. Please don't get hung up on the 1-5 scale because EVERYBODY IS A TWO. About the time most people think they are a three, they also understand just how much further "perfection" is than they thought. Since this is a pursuit of perfection, THERE IS NO FIVE.

What your auditors should be emphasizing is to examine what forces are in place to continuously spot two things:
- Ambiguity. Places where it is not perfectly clear what is needed and where it belongs. Anything that does not clearly belong where it is is suspect.
The first phases of 5S are about removing this ambiguity. That is why you sort, and why you find and identify places for everything. But extra things creep into the work area, and the check process is about determining why and how that happens.

In this context a "problem" is anything that is not clear. Most times that ambiguity goes unnoticed because it is accepted as always there. Your pursuit of perfection is a pursuit of no ambiguity at all. EVERYTHING clearly belongs where it is. The audit should be about teaching your local leaders to see this ambiguity and respond to it.

- Problem solving. Once you have a standard or specification for what belongs, and where they go, then a "Problem" is "any departure from that specification."

If something is not ambiguous, then it is either obviously where it should be, or it is NOT. If it is not, then your audit is about checking the process to: Return it to its "should-be" condition, and challenge the process itself. Usually something ends up wandering because someone somewhere else didn't have it and needed it; or it was used in a way that departs from the process as it was designed.

Seeing either of these conditions is a great opportunity because it points you to the next small "quick and easy" kaizen step which, in turn, will help your 5S.

This last point is critical: 5S CANNOT stand alone. It must be combined with kaizen to constantly reinforce the process and examine the standard. Otherwise it becomes a Dilbert exercise of outlining the vending machine with a label that says "VENDING MACHINE."
03/26/2008 11:54 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
duecesevenOS
Kris Hallan

I agree with Mark that 1-5 scoring is pointless. We use all binary questions that they either get right, or they don't. You get 1 point for a yes answer and 0 points for a no. We give different ratings (bronze, silver, or gold) based upon two criteria.

1) They get a certain number of points across the board.
2) They meet "must have" criteria.

We have ten points in each S category and a few must haves for each. As an example we will ask the question in the Sort category, "Have all supplies been removed from boxes and shipping containers?" It's a simple answer, yes they have or no they haven't. If they have, they get a point for it. To go with Mark's kaizen point, if they don't get a point, we let them know what they need to do in order to fix what took the point away. In this case pull supplies out of the box as they come in so that all supplies can be visible on shelves and they don't take up extra space. The leaders in that area can then assign actions to improve the area from that knowledge. If an auditor is able to answer yes to enough questions, then they can meet the first criteria.

When we started doing audits, that is all we did...above 30 is bronze and so forth. What we realized was that there were a few questions that were absolutely vital to the success of 5S in the area. If they didn't have those questions answered right, they didn't have anything. As an example in the Sustain category we ask, "Is there an active checklist (or substitute) that assigns daily responsibility to the first 3S's?" In our reckoning, if you don't have that, your not bronze. It doesn't matter if you have 49 of 50 points, if you don't have some form of daily checklist, you won't see sustainment and all you have done is clean up the area. Down the road, those types of checklists might not be necessary. For now, we insist on them.

The ratings are, of course, pointless. They don't mean anything, in and of themselves, but they do allow you to set goals for an areas progress in 5S and they help to emphasize key points. It also sets standards for progress. If you want to change the direction of emphasis for progress, you simply change the audit sheet. The key to being successful in these audits is to make sure that everybody realizes that this is a tool to get better. The whole goal of auditing is to improve your way out of a job.
04/01/2008 09:37 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
69317D2
Brent Jorgenson

I have some sample audits I can send you and there are some forms available on my website. E-mail me if you are interested at:

brentjorgenson@leansupermarket.com
11/05/2009 09:52 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
ChamanK
Chamandeep Kaur Khehra

Were you able to deliver a successful training to your 5S auditors? I am in the same situation now? We have done two audits, and there are complains from the floor that the results are not consistent, so I have to train my auditors to ensure consistent results and streamline their thinking. Any ideas?
11/06/2009 03:34 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
fabiofurlan
Fabio Furlan

A successfull training to the 5Ss auditors is the one that provides you results. First, check if the content of the audit encompass everything. Use the binary checks (yes/no) for each item to be checked. For each no, take a problem resolution process, and then an action plan. Last, check the effectiveness of the plan.
In my recent audits I noticed that the area auditors turned a blind eye in some items (they put green in some red items). So, the tool lost its functionality.
I hope this helps. Fabio
11/09/2009 11:05 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
duecesevenOS
Kris Hallan

Were you able to deliver a successful training to your 5S auditors? I am in the same situation now? We have done two audits, and there are complains from the floor that the results are not consistent, so I have to train my auditors to ensure consistent results and streamline their thinking. Any ideas?

Go to the Gemba.

Do audits together and calibrate your auditors to yourself. Build this up organically and have your auditors do audits with others. By using tiered accountability we have actually gotten to the point where managers honestly audit their own areas. Upper managerment does periodic "auditing of the audit" to ensure continuous calibration. Our lean group does periodic auditing of the upper management team (plus occasional spot audits in areas we think might be slipping). Now that management can honestly see the gap between where we want to be and where we are, the audits are a short distance from being unnecessary...2 years later. It's not quite a way of life for everyone yet but it's pretty close.

A classroom teaching of this will NOT work.

Also: Don't plan on ever being done with this training. Auditing standards are in a continous state of RAPID decay. Without continuous reinforcement and training, it will cease...just like anything else (only even faster in this case).
11/09/2009 11:05 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Arthur_S
Arthur Sutherland

For what ever its worth. Ambigus responses are the result of ambigus questions.

Couple of suggestions;

1. Score base on specific tasks (yes / no)
a) Are Productivity, Downtime, Quality, and Safety goals posted?
b) Do tracking charts show meeting or beating goals? If no, are appropriate actions shown to be in process?
This suggestion should hold a base line to a given standard that is either met or not met. The problem here though is that unless it is improved, you only end up with a new "status quo". Its either done or not done to recieve a lollie pop.

Productivity
2. 1-point. Goals posted and tracked
2-points Trend shows meeting or beating goals
3-points Goals that are not met have countermeasure responses.
4-points Countermeasure response is in place and effective.
5-points Process improvement plans posted to improve productivity above goal.
This suggestion tries to define where we really want to be, and what needs to be done to get there.

Hope this holds some value for you. :)
11/10/2009 09:24 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
GTJones
Gary Jones

This is where Audits differ from Assessments, Audits should be clear and identify where there are any non-conformities.

The Audit should also allow the recipients to have an understanding of "What do i have to do" to achieve improvement in my Audit Score so a mix of Yes & No "I do it and can demonstrate it?" along with how well the process is deployed is necessary.

We find that when an area embarks upon 5S it is worth conducting a pre-activity Audit this normally results in a low score - this is then used as a reference point to measure where we were to where we are now and underlines the improvements made in an area (along with lots of photographs and story boards)

We use both Audits and Assessments (Sustainability) to support our 5S programme and as you can see from the examples the audit gives an indication of performance in each of the 5 stages of 5S the Sustainability looks at the Approach used to sustain the improvements and has it become Business as Usual?

I have a Full Project pack including the Planning Tool - Area Maps - Red Tag Registers - Story Boards etc if anyone is interested just send me your email address.

As with all examples please do not distribute as they carry our company details and i would not like these in general circulation but to help our community i think an example is worth a thousand words.

Gary

11/11/2009 12:59 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
RonG
Ron Green

Gary,

I would appreciate receiving your 5S Full Project pack to use for new ideas. I will remove any identifying information if we adopt them.

Please send to: rgreen_19520@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance.

Ron
11/12/2009 01:23 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Mike Phillips

Gary,

I would like to have your 5S Full Project pack. I aslo will remove any identifying information.

Please send to: chandlerpop@netzero.net

Thanks,

Mike
11/13/2009 01:41 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Hal Davis

My e-mail is hdavis@collisionsolution.com
Thanks You!
11/13/2009 01:41 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Aoife Beirne

Hi Gary,

It would be great to have access to the 5S Full Project pack.
My contact details are aoifebeirne@yahoo.co.uk. I will ensure not to circulate them.

Kind Regards,
Aoife
11/13/2009 01:42 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
ViorelFLupu
Viorel Lupu

Gary,

I would also like to have your 5S Full Project pack. I aslo will remove any identifying information.
We struggle in my company with 5S even after 18 months since implementing it. I hope your package can give me some ideas.

Please send to: viorelf_lupu@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance

Viorel L.
Print this message

Author Icon
CANTULA
Luis Cantu

Dear Gary,

I would appreciate receiving your 5S Full Project pack to use for new ideas. I will remove any identifying information if we adopt them.

Please send to: cantula@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance.

Luis Cantu
Print this message

Author Icon
DN
David Nikolic

Gary,

could you send me the project pack as well.
David.Nikolic@web.de

Thanks in advance
11/13/2009 01:43 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Steve Magirias

Gary,

Please send me your 5S Full Project pack and I will also remove any identifying information.

Please send to: steve_magirias@indaltech.com

Thank you,
Steve
11/13/2009 01:43 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Bren06
Brendan Conway

Gary,
I would be interested in getting the presentation package.
Please forward to brendan.c.conway@us.army.mil
Thanks
Brendan C
11/13/2009 01:45 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
ScottScudder
Scott Scudder

Gary,

Thanks for those examples. I would love to have the 5S Project pack that you mentioned. I have included examples of what we are using as well. Maybe these can help others out there.

scott.m.scudder@usmc.mil

Thanks
Scott

FORUMS : Manufacturing : 5s Audit Training

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.