Topic Title: Lean in Prototype manufacturing/assembling
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/30/2017 04:56 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
09/01/2017 01:56 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
PEterMeier
PEter Meier

Hello,

my company wants to implement "Lean Thinking" and we first "testing"area ist the prototype assembling area. (This area only tests cupboard prototypes, this means, that they are assembling them and check, if the engineers did the right CAD construction)

My task is it now to implement Lean in the prototype area and to eliminate wastes.

I'm relative new to the Lean topic, i have some previous knowledge, but i never used them.
So i started research and I think, that the assembling of prototypes is something between job shop production and development.
My idea was: 1. to identificate wastes in the prototype assembling (Value stream mapping?)
2. to eliminate the waste by implementing lean methods.

My question is now: 1. Is the Value Steam Mapping tool the right method to identificate waste in Job Shops? I read, that it is only realizable in "ordinary" production processes.

2. Is my Plan ok or are there enhancements?

Many thanks.
09/05/2017 08:46 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Nat_jb
Nat Manongsong

By prototype you mean products that have yet to go for mass production, right?
If yes, then creating a VSM might not be the right tool unless your process has been well defined and your cycle times are in place.

I suggest to start with a simple time study first and focus on the 7 wastes for your improvement plan. Good luck
09/06/2017 01:23 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
PEterMeier
PEter Meier

Yep,
after development we produce one prototype. If the assembling of the prototype works, then we go right through mass production.

So no VSM? Better doing a waste walk? And then focus on the 7 wastes and try to eliminate the wastes using some Lean methods (for example: 5S, Kanban) ?

For detecting the reason of the waste, i want to use the 5-Why method. Good idea?

Has anybody experience with my situation? Or good literature for Lean in prototype situations?

Many thanks
09/07/2017 10:46 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
PrasadVelaga
Prasad Velaga

In prototype manufacturing, there is a lot of known variation in process requirements for prototypes, that is, routings are distinct for many prototypes. In such systems, process times at work centers may vary with both prototype and work center. Resource & skill requirements at a work center may also vary with prototype. Such manufacturing may also use multi-functional machines and multi-skilled workers. Some prototypes may simultaneously progress through the production system while competing for shared resources.

In such systems, the waiting times and queue sizes of prototypes at work centers are largely influenced by all these factors, rework and material release times for prototypes. I do not think I am complicating prototype manufacturing.

VSM for a single type of prototype does not make much sense to me in the above described system. I wonder how VSM can really help identify true waste that is not visible to naked eye in such systems.
09/08/2017 10:38 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
BharatM
Bharat Mimani

I deduce what you would be more interested in conducting is a PFMEA activity. It is wise to conduct such brainstorming exercises during prototyping. You can consider Lean principles while conducting PFMEA, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel at a later date. It is mature of your mgmt to dedicate you on this strategic & value-added task. Be thorough & prudent. Wish you luck.

Bharat
Originally posted by: PEterMeier

Yep,

after development we produce one prototype. If the assembling of the prototype works, then we go right through mass production.

So no VSM? Better doing a waste walk? And then focus on the 7 wastes and try to eliminate the wastes using some Lean methods (for example: 5S, Kanban) ?

For detecting the reason of the waste, i want to use the 5-Why method. Good idea?

Has anybody experience with my situation? Or good literature for Lean in prototype situations?

Many thanks
10/20/2017 09:30 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
DuncanRoss
Duncan Ross

Hi PEter Meier

How are you going in your implementation of "Lean Thinking"?
The reason I ask is that I am in a similar situation. We are a small company and building small number of prototypes but ramping up to mass production. We want to start correctly and implement Lean from the start.

I was thinking to start setting up assembly area with 5S. Did you think about doing this? I would like to here how you got on.

I am also new to Lean thinking so any help would be great
Thanks in advance for any help
11/03/2017 11:17 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
JardCrocker
Jard Crocker

Hi...as per my knowledge it is right that creating a VSM might not be the right tool unless your process has been well defined and your cycle times are in place. So you should start with a simple time study first and focus on the 7 wastes for your improvement plan.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.