Home > Community> Forums
Topic Title: Total Production Lead Time (VSM)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/26/2017 02:47 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
10/26/2017 12:07 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
MikelG
Michael Gonzales

Hi!

I am a new member in this group.

I am interested to get other people's thoughts on the Learning To See book particularly on total production lead time. My questions are as follows:

1. Why was the total production lead time calculated by just adding all the inventories (triangle symbol) in between processes and not including the lead time through the process?

2. Should the calculation be: Production Lead Time = lead time through the process + lead time through the inventory triangle?

3. Also, Lead Time (through the process) = WIP x cycle time?

Looking forward to learning from you guys.

Thanks.
10/26/2017 03:17 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
MarkRosenthal
Mark Rosenthal

Michael -
The total lead time DOES include the processing time. In the example (on page 29 in my edition) the total processing time is just over 3 minutes, so over the three weeks+ it takes the item to flow through the pipeline, that is pretty trivial. When they are calculating lead time in DAYS, then seconds get buried as rounding.

You #3 is correct - WIP x cycle (meaning the cadence of output) = total lead time.
More specifically, that gives you the lead time if everything flowed FIFO in and out of the queues, etc.
Often things do not, so in the Real World, many items can take considerably longer as others are jumped ahead of them.
10/27/2017 09:44 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
MikelG
Michael Gonzales

Thank you , Mark. I was also thinking that it was rounded up so the SECONDS got buried in DAYS.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.