Topic Title: Masters degree in Lean manufacturing
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/08/2017 03:42 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
01/09/2017 11:44 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Ronica_S
Ronica Shekar

Hello guys,

I have been working in an company which implements lean methodologies in small scale industries. This has peaked my interest towards Lean manufacturing and i wish to obtain a specific degree in this field.
So is there anyone who can guide me on which universities offer this course irrespective of geography.

Thanks & Regards.
01/13/2017 08:37 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
oberkele
Owen Berkeley-Hill

If you are in the UK then you might want to look at Buckingham MSchttp://www.buckingham.ac.uk/business/msc/leanenterprise, which is a continuation of the MSc I did at Cardiff in 2003, the first in the world. Cardiff Business School, for some very odd reasons, decided to close down their Lean unit and so John Bicheno moved it to Buckingham. John is one of the leading thinkers in the subject and was my dissertation supervisor.

My only caveat is that, since the term Lean was coined over 27 years ago, the B-Schools have ignored it, running scared of what it implied for their precious cash cows, the MBA. As a result, Lean continues to be regarded, even in the discussions here, as either the Toyota toolbox, or one approach to Process Improvement, and this both diminishes and distorts the understanding of this body of knowledge. To me Lean is, probably, the most significant advance in our understanding of how a good leader should think, believe, act and behave. Err..., unlike the likes of Martin Winterkorn (VW), Sepp Blatter (FIFA), Jeff Bezos (Amazon), Sepastian Coe (IAAF) and a host of others who cling to the more common Command & Control, which is way past by its "sell-by", but still incubated by the MBA.

I am delighted you want to advance your knowledge and so I wish you the best of luck and a fair wind, but if the CEO and the leadership of your organisation are not Lean thinkers and not leading the radical cultural change Lean is, then all your efforts will be ravaged by that silent enemy, Entropy, or the next (new broom) CEO.

Good luck!
01/16/2017 11:38 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Jay-Mi
Jamie Freeman

The University of Utah in the United States offers a Shingo MBA which is an MBA with a Lean Focus. It is offered in conjunction with the Shingo Institute.
01/16/2017 11:38 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Richard Rantilla

Ronica,

The only degree specifically in Lean Manufacturing that I know of is the Masters program at Kettering University in Flint, Michigan. I used to teach there and the program was very good, having been based on General Motors and Toyota. It is also available entirely on-line.

Also look for lean "certificates" or options within MBA programs. University of Michigan, Northwestern University, Georgia Tech, University of Illinois and the Society of Manufacturing Engineers all have good offerings.

Get a textbook on Operations Management (for example the text by Heizer and Render. The older editions are available, used on Amazon for a couple of dollars plus shipping... or go to your local library.) Look through the table of contents of this book to see what are the topics in operations management, because all of these can be affected by lean thinking.

Then look for universities that have programs in "Operations Management". These programs can often be configured with courses on supply chain management, lean thinking, lean manufacturing, total quality management, etc.

Finally, of course, here in LEI there are excellent books, workshops and webinars. Good general books include "Lean Thinking" by Womack, "The Gold Mine" by Balle and "Learning to See" by Rother.

Rick
02/14/2017 10:39 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
DennisCarpenter
Dennis Carpenter

I believe it is Utah State in Logan Utah that offers the Shingo MBA.

University of Utah is in SLC, Utah.
02/14/2017 10:39 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
DennisCarpenter
Dennis Carpenter

I received my master's in Lean Manufacturing at Kettering University in Flint, Michigan.

It was an on-line coarse.
02/21/2017 10:12 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
LindaDodge
Linda Dodge

I just graduated from The Ohio State with a Masters of Business Operational Excellence. There were two tracks you could follow, Industry or Health Care. Next year they may add a Service track as well. Great program!
02/22/2017 12:07 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Satyaaic
Satyanarayan Behera

Hi Linda,
I am a Lean Six Sigma Practitioner.I am thinking of masters program in Lean and happy to know about the Ohio State University.
I am curious to know, how the post program career placement works there.
I would be great if you can revert.
Satya
02/27/2017 10:31 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
mahajan
Sarabjit Mahajan

Hi.. by any way, is there any course which are available online FOC.
11/27/2017 12:18 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Doug L

Sorry- first post so my apologies. I just wanted to add that I earned mine at Kettering University as well, but did the online thing. Worked out, was reluctant, but glad I went through with it! I'll try to post a link: <a href="https://online.kettering.edu/programs/masters/lean-manufacturing-masters-online">https://online.kettering.edu/programs/masters/lean-manufacturing-masters-online</a>
11/27/2017 12:18 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
ChrisEly
Chris Ely

Hi Satya,

I also graduated from the MBOE program at Ohio State that Linda spoke of. It is a great program. I was actually hired by my coach from the program just weeks after graduation. Basically everyone I graduated has been promoted; some several times. I would do it again.

Chris
12/01/2017 10:36 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
JessicaQuolke
Jessica Quolke

Hello Ronica -
I am currently pursuing a Lean certification through SME/Tooling U - there are three different levels you can obtain - Bronze, Silver, Gold - I am starting with Bronze, but it is not necessary that you go in that order. The nice thing is that it is self paced and not only is there an exam you need to pass, but also a portfolio that you must submit - putting what you are learning into practice.

Good Luck!!
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.