Topic Title: Need help with Process Analysis
Topic Summary: Improvement Kata Process Analysis
Created On: 05/20/2017 07:37 PM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
05/22/2017 10:31 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
AkshaySinghal
Akshay Singhal

Hi,

We're in the process of deploying the Improvement Kata in our wholesale operations to help management and team leaders adopt a systematic method of problem solving.

I have a question about the Process Analysis Kata from Mike Rother's book. In particular, I have a process where multiple operators work independently to produce an output. When measuring cycle times, should I focus on just one Operator, or measure cycles for multiple operators and plot them together.

Also, in such a situation how do I calculate planned cycle time for each operator?
05/26/2017 11:11 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Robert_Simonis
Robert Simonis

What are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you do not have standard work and you are trying to create a system that accommodates various nonstandard processes and operations. You need to have a standard process, performed in a standard way, that meets takt time.
05/26/2017 11:11 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
LauraStover
Laura Stover

Being that KATA is regarding repeatable processes, you should monitor as many operators as possible, tracking both cycle time and quality of output. Then using your plot, model the process after the most effective operator and possibly look for ways to improve that operator's motions.
06/02/2017 11:09 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
AkshaySinghal
Akshay Singhal

Thanks Laura.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.