Home > Forums
Topic Title: Process cycle efficiency
Topic Summary: Calculation of the PCE and measurement?
Created On: 10/30/2017 07:22 PM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
10/31/2017 12:20 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Stanlyens
osman vanegas

I am very confused, some people use the formula Value added / Value not added and others Value added / (value added + value not added)

Also some say that a company above 4% is Lean and other people say it is above 25%. Please, could someone help me?
11/02/2017 10:44 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
MarkRosenthal
Mark Rosenthal

First, there is no "value added ration" that says "you are lean." As you point out, different people say different things. It really doesn't matter, and depends so much on the nature of the individual process there is no way you could make such a sweeping statement. "Lean" is about your culture, your thinking - a *continuous* (meaning every single day) drive to always improve your flow of value to your customers.

As for the math, in general, when you care calculating a percentage, you take your value / the total.
But I wouldn't worry about it too much. The question really is, how much of your work-in-process is just sitting there having nothing done to it, and what you can do to reduce that idle material and keep things moving.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.