Topic Title: Process Map Legend for Healthcare
Topic Summary: What is important to make visual on healthcare process map
Created On: 01/18/2017 04:05 PM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
01/19/2017 10:48 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
JoshHospitalIE
Josh Terrill

I am preparing for a 3P (Production Preparation Process which I've rebranded as Patient-flow preparation process) with our emergency services and medical imaging teams. We are installing a CT Scanner into our ED to reduce diagnostic time for stroke patients and thus need to design optimal flow.

I want to call out certain elements on the process map, but am interested to hear what other people make visual on their maps.
Elements I plan to include are:
Start/End = Oval with text
Process Step=Rectangle with text
Decision = Diamond with text
Safety Check = Plus sign next to a process step
Delay (Patient waiting) = D shape with text
Handoff = *need idea, some kind of baton or a hand?*

Please list your ideas/comments below. Thank you!
01/20/2017 08:59 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
LindaDodge
Linda Dodge

How about a patient chart with a hand on it?

http://search.myway.com/search...ter=on&imgDetail=true

Is an example.
01/23/2017 08:14 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Jonathan Sackett

I have facilitated 7-8 of these in the last 5 years. I would use a value stream map and associated process boxes. If you don't use VSM maps and data, how will you calculate capacity required? Decision-trees are not value-added. They present chances for error to occur. Reducing # of decision-points is better for future state.
Print this message

Author Icon
Chris Werner

Hi Josh
For the "handoff" symbol, I would use the standard symbol for Manual which is the irregular quadrilateral symbol found in most process map symbol libraries.
It's easy to come up with custom symbols and they even make may make sense, but the recommendation is to stay within the generally accepted symbology.
Hope this helps.
Print this message

Author Icon
JoshHospitalIE
Josh Terrill

Oh, for a handoff? I like that idea. Thanks LindaDodge.

Other ideas?
01/23/2017 08:15 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
JoshHospitalIE
Josh Terrill

Oh, hand on clipboard to represent the handoff? I like that idea, Thanks LindaDodge.

Any other ideas for the types of information you include on healthcare process maps?
01/27/2017 08:30 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Robert_Simonis
Robert Simonis

Is patient waiting the same as inventory? I was thinking of the triangle with a W inside it (instead of the VSM symbol with an I).

Is each process step a hand off? If it is, then maybe I do not need a different symbol, although you have several good ideas in this thread.

Concerning process flow diagram (PFD) versus Value Stream Map (VSM): Every problem has many sides or perspectives and each method displays the problem in a different way. I would suggest that you look at the problem from several different ways and from several different stakeholders - VSM, PFD, a spaghetti diagram of the patient, spaghetti diagram of the various providers, pareto analysis of various data, etc. We optimize for the patient, but if we improve work for other stakeholders at the same time, the solutions will be implemented better and faster.
07/11/2017 03:22 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Gregory Stacey

I will often color code my maps different colors for different people doing the task. This would indicate a hand-off. I will also sometimes note data requirements, time stamps with clocks, communication with phones or e-mail symbols. Other than this I generally use the same symbol as you are using. I always attempt to create my maps to make it as easy as possible for my audience to understand. I find maps that get too complex or have too many swim lanes or lines crossing start to lose their effect.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.