Topic Summary: Lean in car repair work shops
Created On: 01/14/2011 05:41 AM
Linear : Threading
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
12/27/2013 11:00 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Christopher Chesley

Is the book called "BackStreet Lean: Solutions for the Job Shop " by John Macchia Sr. , Don Tapping, and Ron Camp?
01/06/2014 06:06 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
SteveMilner
Steve Milner

In 1996 I heard a local Ford dealer had started to apply kaizen. This was 2~3 years after KIA & KIE had worked with Ford suppliers in conjunction with some of their Purchase people. ['Go do it to our suppliers!'] I took a look around the dealer's workshop and made some notes if they're of interest to anyone. Had they persisted with this I suspect we'd know a lot more about it by now!
01/13/2014 12:47 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
anapple
Irene Johansen

Hi Marc,

I'm actually in the process of buying a car from a Toyota dealership in Calgary. I found it interesting that this particular dealership is aware of the TPS, and even the sales people engage in Kaizen circles. (I had originally tried another Toyota dealership, and they didn't know what I was talking about.) Best of all, right in the middle of the showroom is the floorplan for their new service centre, planned for operations starting 2015. It is based on 5S, takt time, value added time, string diagram efficiency, etc. - you can see the results of the examination of the whole value stream, or even several. If they get this going properly, customer wait time for standard maintenance will be minimal. Get in touch with Heninger Toyota, and ask for their key planning personnel for the new facility:

Heninger Toyota
Heninger Toyota Service Centre

Hope this helps.

ij
01/13/2014 12:47 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
anapple
Irene Johansen

Hi. I've just noticed how old this is. Oh well. For what it's worth, and for anyone interested in an example in the real world, check out Heninger.
03/26/2014 08:09 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
HOONG
HOONG LIEW

Hi Marc and Everyone,

Currently, I'm doing my master research which is almost similar to the topic (Lean Collision Center Management system). However, my main focus is only on a Private-owned Malaysian automotive workshop (Family owned business). To be honest, I'm also facing the same problem which is lacking of literature review in this topic. Therefore, could anyone recommend me some books or journal papers according to this topic?

Thank in advance.
Hoong
03/26/2014 08:09 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
HOONG
HOONG LIEW

Hi Marc and Everyone,

I've just noticed this topic which is related to my family business (A Malaysian private owned workshop).So,now I'm still working out with this topic for my master thesis in order to implement some lean techniques to minimize the lead time and waste as well. Usually what I studied is all about lean manufacturing techniques which is totally different to a service based business.Does anyone have some experiences in implementing the "lean thinking" and techniques in this specific area as Marc said? For example, Kaizen, 5S or any suitable methods for this topic? Can someone share his/her real life experiences with me?
Thank you.
Sif
03/31/2014 09:36 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Ken Berger

I heard this author, Karen Martin, on a recent podcast (http://www.ksmartin.com) and was impressed with her comments. She has a book on value stream mapping & said it includes service. You may also want to contact that dealership in the posts above to see what material they used.
03/31/2014 09:37 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
SharonB
Sharon Bennett

Have you looked at any of the US Collision Repair magazines such as "Body Shop Business" or "Fender Bender"? Lean implementation articles are typically found in magazines leadership section and often highlight family based businesses.
01/27/2015 09:04 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
GR20
Tristan Schwalbach

Hey Marc, I saw your post on lean in auto repair and was wondering how the thesis went?
02/04/2015 07:15 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Hal Davis

What videos have you aquired?
02/04/2015 07:15 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Hal Davis

Mark, could you contact me? hdavis@collisionsolution.com? Thanks!
10/12/2016 03:04 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
imranhossain
imran hossain

A LEAN innovative work cell to enhance productivity and profitability
Your collision repair workshop's internal and external environment plays an important role in the overall quality experience. It is here that the public image of your workshop is formed. http://rfblogistics.com/
10/17/2016 01:59 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Hal Davis

I have a collision repair shop if you are interested in discussing!! Hal
10/21/2016 10:04 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Victor Huot

Marc,

I would love to respond and it may be long winded but please indulge me. I've been a Lean practitioner since 2005 having applied it in the Navy aircraft overhaul business and now with some success in supply.
My focus here though is an automotive repair business. I have a new Subaru which was being put in for an oil change, a rough idle and a loose rear wiper blade. I was told I had a 0730 apt for the oil change so to drop off the vehicle either the night before or bring it in at the appointment time with any notes (which I preferred).
I provided notes on when the rough idle was occurring and also that I needed my vehicle back by 1 pm and asked was this going to be a problem. Repair serviceman took my information, notes told me they would call, provided me a ride home and I departed.
Much went wrong that day and it's not my intent to drag it all in here but my point is that I spoke with the service manager and asked why did I have to bring my vehicle in at 0730 for a oil change along with 40 other cars? He stated that's how they do it. They bring everyone in at the same time, send everyone home and keep their vehicle most of the day (unless asked for back at a specific time - which did not happen in my case).
I explained that I was an aircraft maintenance supervisor in the navy and that I knew how long certain functions took and based on those times knew what aircraft could be scheduled for flight, ect...

I asked if he had ever heard the term Lean and he had little knowledge which baffles my brain. This is a major car brand and a very nice one. Subaru has a very good maintenance record for keeping their cars on the road and out of the shop. I asked this manager if he knew how long an oil change took, how long a tire change/rotation took, automatic transmission oil & filter change took, how long a vehicle with emissions took and then I asked if he had vehicle bays for each of this type work. He said yes and no. Here I was giving him free solutions (jumping the gun, yes). this manager did state the following though which tells me they know more about Lean than he was willing to admit; "When the vehicles are done, they are pulled out of the bay and the emergency flasher are put on to alert someone that that particular car is ready for a free car wash." Well isn't that and Andon?

Marc, there is goodness out there and then there is just luck. It's people like you and me that need to educate them. Good luck! Teach them properly though with 5s, takt, time, gantt charts (visual communication) etc...
FORUMS : Service : Lean in car repair work shops

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.