Home > Community> Forums
Topic Title: "Work at Home" and other Remote Employees
Topic Summary: Wondering if anyone has advice on how to best involve "Work at Home" and other Remote Employees in a lean environment
Created On: 01/15/2014 05:41 PM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
01/16/2014 07:03 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Prettyfuzzy
Anna Buehler

Hello,
Have any of you ever struggled with how to involve "Work at Home" and other Remote Employees in a lean environment? I'd love to hear about others' experiences with successes, risks and solutions.
It's something I am working with right now. Some remote employees feel more engaged by participating in daily huddles (via phone) and having some form of Gemba Walk (can I call it that is it's done remotely?), others may feel more distant. Even with today's technology it can be a struggle to completely involve employees who are not physically present but the reality is that more and more teams in service industries are virtual teams. I don't see that changing anytime soon in my industry.

Would love any thoughts or experiences this group can share.
01/20/2014 07:14 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Boeing_Lean
Ken Hunt

Anna,

Gemba walks are a "go, see, and learn" activity. They cannot be done remotely. You need to actually SEE what is happening at the gemba. Anything less is not a gemba walk.

Ken
01/20/2014 07:15 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
ZalPezhman
Zal Pezhman

Hello,
Over 40 companies worldwide in the Automotive, Aerospace, Financial Services and Pharmaceutical industries are now successfully running Visual Management meetings and rituals across multiple sites with iObeya, resolving the challenges you have outlined concerning remote participation of geographically dispersed teams. Please look at iObeya Digital Visual Management for more information.
01/21/2014 06:11 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Prettyfuzzy
Anna Buehler

Thanks Zach!
01/24/2014 12:18 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
RyanKapsar
Ryan Kapsar

I think that you can call it "Gemba" if you aren't a manufacturing facility. I work in the service industry and our "Gemba" walks can take place over the "phone" using Lync, which allows us to screen share. We're "Going and seeing" by walking the task as the employee does it while screen sharing. Sure it could be better if you can get everyone together to do the same thing. However, with remote workers and the expense of flying people to a single meeting place for Kaizen events, doing Gemba with Lync or live meeting, go to meeting, or whatever, is a great alternative for the daily actions of Gemba.

I'd also suggest if possible, to have video chat on as well. So then people can see who is speaking and what they look like. This will help build team inclusiveness reduce some of the barriers of voice only conversation.

I do believe that we need to work to develop better tools for this sort of environment as this is probably a trend that will only continue.
02/08/2016 04:10 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
kevin krin

In my last company, I was frustrated at the lack of easy options to share and collaborate over a whiteboard with my remote colleagues. Pointing Google Hangout or Skype at the whiteboard doesn't work well because the images that remote user sees are very fuzzy. So when I left, I started working on a simple to use, web-based no-download solution.

I raised some money, hired a few people and we are almost ready to release our Beta.

I'd love to you to try it out. It's free and it takes less than 10 seconds to get it going.

You can sign up for our Beta here - mycyclops.co
07/20/2016 11:28 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
EmilioAlmeida
Emilio Almeida

I think it is important to consider that the physical boards do a great job on:

- engagement
- collaboration

I think these 2 elements need to be present in any electronic solution. It is not only a matter of simulating an electronic board, it is also about making sure the remote teams feel engaged and part of the team while they actively collaborate with each others.
02/07/2017 01:16 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
kevin krin

We struggled a lot with this in our last company. We had 4 offices spread around the country. When a few of us left, we decided to solve this problem ourselves by building the solution. We started off with an online whiteboard solution and recently expanded it to a full video conferencing platform with whiteboard and audio transcription.

We'd love for you guys to try it out and give us feedback or feature requests. We have Houghton Mifflin, Sapient, Twitter, etc. using it internally now.

www.cyclops.io

No download need. One-click access. It's free.

Kevin
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.