Topic Title: Adopting Lean in Cafeterias and Resturents
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/28/2017 02:43 PM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
02/28/2017 10:49 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
John Shibu

I am graduate student at UCMO. My post is the part my study/assignment. Please help with my question.

I worked in a hospital cafeteria before and found lot of food wasting at the end of each shifts. One of my relative is working in university cafeteria and he also mentioned about the wastage of excessive food everyday. This was haunting me and we all know food is very precious and should not waste.
My question is what is the best method and how to adopt Lean methodology in cafeterias and restaurants. Or is it not enough worth to adopting Lean principles in cafeterias and restaurants.

Thank you in advance for your reply.
John Shibu
03/01/2017 10:45 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
IanMcG
IAn McGuire

Hi John.

I did my Lean Six Sigma course a few years ago and what hooked me onto it was a free yellow belt course that used a restaurant to showcase the capabilities of LSS. Bahama Bistro looks at the issues you are experiencing and may be a good place to start to look at your situation.

The link to their site is http://goleansixsigma.com/free...n-six-sigma-training/

I work in a Machining facility and had a large amount of data to analyse and went down the LSS route to deal with it. Bahama Bistro was fun to work through.
03/03/2017 09:55 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
John Shibu

Thank you IanMcG for your valuable comment.
03/03/2017 10:12 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
PhilipRowe
Philip Rowe

There are several ways to reduce waste in a cafe. You can move toward a made to order system. Track your sales over the course of the year to help predict next weeks volume. Those are the quick ones I can think of.

So yes I think it is worth adopting Lean in a cafe.

And you can also team up with a Food Bank, homeless shelter, church, and see if the would be willing to come pick up the leftover food and give people who need it. Might be able to get a Tax right off.
03/03/2017 10:41 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
John Shibu

Thank you Philip Rowe
03/07/2017 11:01 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
BattlinMuda
Bart Shoaf

Hi, John. You ask "if it is worth it." That's the first thing to measure. Try to count units or pounds and calculate a dollar amount per day or per week. Find the heaviest or most expensive products that get wasted and attack those first. New Excel versions have a Pareto chart function; this will help you graphically display your data when you need to convince someone to act on your findings.
03/14/2017 07:24 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
John Shibu

Thank you, Bart Shoaf.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.