Topic Title: Hoshin Kanri / Policy Deployment in Engineering company
Topic Summary: Fundamentals - Level 1, Breakthrough, Networking
Created On: 05/11/2017 08:22 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
05/11/2017 10:20 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
GormNielsen
Gorm Nielsen

Hi Forum,

We are providing Engineering services to the Pharma industri and are located in 8 different countries.
We started up in 2017 with our first version of Hoshin Kanri in our company.

As we are planning for the update to 2018, we do have some questions/issues we're looking into:

1. Our top-level Hoshin Kanri - should that be for the group as a whole, or would you suggest each "business unit" (Country) makes their own Level 1 matrix? (The business unit are working independently). The obvious answer is of course it should start with the group, since the overall strategy is formed here. But in our first year, we haven't had one matrix for the group, but one matrix for each country.

2. Breakthrough objectives: Can you share some interesting ways of setting up breakthrough objectives and perhaps also a good example of a great breakthrough objective. Our current objectives are not what I would call "Breakthrough" (solutions known up-front, incremental improvement etc.) and I do believe we can improve here.

3. Network
We're looking for companies who are working with, and have some experience working with Hoshin Kanri / Policy Deployment in order to share best practice, discuss implementation and improvement. Should we try to set-up a network?

Br Gorm
05/12/2017 11:28 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
deluzio
Mark DeLuzio

Hello Br Gorm,

The short answer is both the overall business and the business units should have a top level matrix. Developing the architecture of your Hoshin is critically important. What goes on these matrices (Organization vs. Business Unit) is different and this is where the confusion lies. I would not do a top level matrix for the organization if senior leadership has no interest in working and improving the business using the Hoshin process. I can talk to you about architecture off line as the form is not the most Lean place to get into the details. Feel free to email me at mark.deluzio@leanhorizons.com to set up a time to talk.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.