Topic Title: Drilling / pocketing with small straight bits
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/08/2017 02:39 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
08/08/2017 09:00 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Joe Clark

Hello,

The smallest bit I have is a 1/16" straight bit. I need to drill holes as small as possible. Would it be safe to pocket cut a 2mm circle using this bit? I'm unsure because it does not have a cutter in the center. I even checked Drilling Process Video for help ,but it did not help much.Any advice on how to do this with a 1/4" shank? I'd happily buy a proper drilling bit, even if smaller than 2mm. But with a 1/4" shank there doesn't seem to be many options.

Perhaps the drill press is the best method. I just have a lot of them to do!

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.
08/21/2017 09:30 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Robert_Simonis
Robert Simonis

This question might better be answered on the SME.org forum, but please tell us more about what problem you have. What kind of material, what depth, coolant through or no, dim and quality specs. I drilled holes in 6061 Al, about 1mm deep, 14,000 pieces a day, for ABS brake valve bodies for years. Used a 0.7mm carbide drill in a collet tool holder.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.