Topic Title: Stellar example of Lean in Service/Office
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/13/2017 07:59 PM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
11/17/2017 10:15 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Ken Eakin

Does anyone know of any companies in the service/office space that have gone beyond the superficial tools of lean and have really reached a transformative level of lean excellence? I work in the financial sector and the only good example I've read about is Jefferson Pilot in this 2003(!) HBR article. (JPF now is Lincoln National Corporation-- not sure if Lean survived its acquisition). After almost 15 years, are there no more success stories from the "white-collar" world?
11/27/2017 12:18 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Jack dom

thats amazing post ken eakin. good work. keep up date it.
12/01/2017 10:55 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
TonyHeath
Anthony Heath

Hello Ken.
I work for UnitedHealth Group's care delivery Organization Optum. I am a full time internal Lean consultant and I apply Lean thinking to every project I do. For example, I go see, assemble teams, create value stream maps, reduce service wastes in processes, lead development of standard work and task specific checklists. I recently gave a presentation to 112 Optum employees focused on seeing the service wastes. I also helped re-design a care delivery process that saved us $5M.
Paul Akers has re-inspired me and I follow his production as much as I can. As he says, everything is a process and everything can be changed.
I don't mean to claim that all is rosy and I have still much to learn. But I feel certain banking and healthcare delivery have lots in common as processes.
12/14/2017 02:18 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Erick_Mo
Erick Mortera

Hi Ken,

In my company at Fisher&Paykel Healthcare NZ, we have applied Lean methodology on one of the Finance function - reducing the lead-time to settle payments from Purchasing process to Accounts Payable processing. There are many factors contributing to this big problem and our approach was to tackle one root-cause at a time through a priority matrix. One of the root causes was that parcel deliveries were not receipted properly or were not receipted at all in the system which causes a lot of vendor complaints. We made improvements over a lot of things in the receipting process and we were able to cut the backlogs by 35%. Our Finance team were so amazed with the result that their teams became more interested in Lean. They are tackling a new project which is improving lead time for collectibles on vendor returns. The company has had started Lean in the NZ manufacturing space since 2008 but we are expanding the program to the office and our partners.

I'm sure there are a lot of companies in the service/office sector with the same success stories but would rather not share it openly.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.