Topic Title: Huddles & Visual Management in a Call Center
Topic Summary: Has anyone started a Huddle w/ Vis Mgt in a Call Center
Created On: 07/17/2015 11:47 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
07/17/2015 12:37 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
jakins
Jared Akins

Hello everyone,

I am starting Huddles with a Huddle Board/Visual board in a call center for the utility I work for. The concepts have been introduced to the leadership of the area after which they have requested help to implement.

My plan is the following:
- develop a visual board for the huddle to follow with the call rep team

- explain, show examples, and share experiences with the team for Why huddles are used/useful & what they are

- determine what metrics are key for them (ideas - avg handle time, hold time)
-so the team can tell how they are doing and what they can improve

- build in knowledge sharing for best practices

- let the team build the board and huddle agenda after the training

Has anyone else done this with a call center? Do you have any suggestions? I appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Jared
07/24/2015 12:42 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Kyle_Meyers
Kyle Meyers

Doing Gemba Boards in an office environment is great, but difficult. Do not get discouraged. One aspect of the office environment is that it is not as tangible as manufacturing, but processes still happen and can be measured.

On approach I have used is to start with documenting issues. Don't worry about the measurements. As you talk about the issues, develop metrics that are meaningful to the issues. This puts a reason behind the metrics and it is not necessarily just busy work. Once they get used to tracking metrics, you can develop meaningful metrics for the team.

You mentioned leadership is looking for this. THEY need to come to the board at least 3 times a week. They must do this so everyone can see. E-mail reports are not the same. Schedule a regular time to review the board (Reoccurring Meeting in Outlook, Lotus, or whatever you use). 5-minutes is all that is needed most days. Don't be afraid to call them out if they slack on attendance. Fortune often favors the bold in this situation. This will reduce the fires that they feel they need to fight.

Good luck!
08/03/2015 08:05 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
AdeleLaw
Adele Law

Hi Jared
I have done quite a lot of work with visual team boards in offices, but only a little in call centres.

It is important not only to focus on handling time, but on first time resolution of queries. As I am sure you know, too much focus on handling time can lead to wrong behaviours.

We also found that we were able to identify waste in the administrative processes that took place between calls.

Abandoned calls is also worth looking at, as it shows how many customers fail to get throught at all.

Good luck
Adele
08/07/2015 01:57 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
KerryEvans
Kerry Evans

Hi Jared,

If you would like to PM me I would be happy to share an example of a call center board. The general guidance we have followed is only to reflect metrics that would be meaningful from the cusotomers perspective. i.e. not focus on talk time, but focus on after call (unavailable) time, customer satisfaction, etc.
03/20/2017 10:29 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
John Backewich

I would also like to see a sample of a huddle board for a call center application.
John
03/27/2017 03:50 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
jakins
Jared Akins

Hello everyone,

Last year we were able to start huddles with a visual board! I am working on a write up about the experience, our current challenges, and the future plans. Possibly in the next month I can get it posted for anyone interested. In the mean time I'd be happy to share some pictures of our Visual Huddle Board as well as an AMAZING Idea board our call center developed and is using. I'm not sure the best way to share pictures on the message board. If anyone wants to connect and see what we have done I am happy to share. Leave your email address and I will send them over.

Best Wishes - Jared
03/29/2017 08:23 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
gchadha
Guru Chadha

Please email me a copy of the photo and sample of visual huddle board at guruchadha@hotmail.com, Thanks!

Guru Chadha
03/31/2017 07:57 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
DanielBerry
Daniel Berry

Please share the examples with me as well. dbe007@gmail.com
Thanks
Daniel
03/31/2017 07:57 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
MOLEAN
Maury Williams

Please email me a copy of the sample visual huddle board and photo's to mwill1978@aol.com.

Thanks

Maury Williams
03/31/2017 07:58 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
EricCampbell
Eric Campbell

Jared,

Can you also send me a copy of the picture (ecampbell@cranepumps.com)? We are working on visuals for our customer service area and many of the unlevel demand is caused by phone calls. Thank you!
03/31/2017 07:59 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Moderator_Lory
Lory Moniz

Hey All
Just a friendly reminder when sharing emails and asking for materials to be sent please use *private messaging*.

thanks
04/03/2017 09:30 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
ChereeWVaughn
Cheree Vaughn

I would love to see your pictures of boards as well. Email to cheree.vaughn@cognizant.com.

Thank you.
04/10/2017 11:31 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
LorettaMills
Loretta Mills

Please advise how to send a private message in this forum, thanks
04/10/2017 11:35 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Moderator_Lory
Lory Moniz

Hi All
To send private messages, click on the PERSON Icon on the right of the person you want to message. A window will popup that allows you to type a message and send.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.