Topic Title: Stand-Up desks
Topic Summary: Business case for stand up desks
Created On: 08/30/2017 01:34 PM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
09/01/2017 01:57 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Tony Groves

Hi There,

I work in a low volume high variety, production environment and the office staff tend to have many dual roles.

We have trialed some stand up desks for 5 of the office staff, after the trial we had some positive feedback, regarding health improvements for their backs, general morale and felt less distracted.

I am trying to put a business case together, but i am struggling to quantify the investment to the MD. I plan to use survey's for the candidates, but aim the questions towards something tangible.

In a nutshell i am looking for advice on writing the questionnaire, i have some thoughts already such as;

How often do you need people to sit around your desk, to review your screens? As the stand up desks, negates the need for finding a chair and wheeling it over.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
09/12/2017 10:07 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
bmackeyvt
Brian Mackey

Hi Tony,

I have some thoughts:

- I think you can show an ROI from this investment. I think time and motion studies would yield some efficiency results. I also would look to see if there were any work injury / disability expenses for the staff who would get these desks. If those are things that could have been avoided with a better work station, that should be a consideration as well.
- Do you have high turnover in this area? If so, some of those costs could be reduced with improved work stations.
- As for your survey, I think you want to gear it around employee satisfaction: What is their ideal workstation? What is important in a work station? Would being able to adjust the workstation improve their job satisfaction? Etc.

Hope this is of some help,
Brian
10/12/2017 02:48 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
PhilipRowe
Philip Rowe

Good morning all,

I work for a furniture dealership that sells Standing Height and Height Adjustable Desks. On our intranet we have an ROI calculator, and a bunch of other sales resources that the show why it is a good idea to go with a standing option.

The research is out there already and no need to do it on your own. If you reach out to a local furniture dealership(if in Chicago let me know, even if not in Chicago I can still find someone to help you), they will be able to give you all this info. Most major furniture manufactures probably have a team that will come on sight to do the work for you.

https://www.steelcase.com/research/articles/topics/ergonomics/movement-in-the-workplace/

above is a link to an article that basically say sitting in a bad posture all day is bad for you and if you give people the option to stand it is healthier for them.

-Phil
10/12/2017 02:48 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
DerekJones
Derek Jones

Tony, you could also try the suppliers/manufacturers of your stand-up desks. They surely will be able to assist with a business case for their products. Feedback from your test should be most useful. In one of my locations I was interested to hear that 50% of the time the person asked would stand, 50% sit, and he thought it was about the same for his team mates...and he would not like to go back to just a seated desk. hth.
10/16/2017 10:08 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
SeanBreen
Sean Breen

Hi There Tony,

ICYMI, here's an article from last week to provide one very pretty way to prove the ROI of stand-up desks - &, potentially, stand-up meetings:

https://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21729972-it-seems-promote-cognitive-performance-standing-good-your-mind-well

"The upshot was that those who were standing when they took the test did significantly better at it than those who were sitting. The gap between the two scores of the standing volunteers was about 100 milliseconds. Between those sitting, it was about 120 milliseconds. The old army order of 'stand to attention' thus seems literally, as well as figuratively, true. & office workers who choose to stand may be increasing their output as well as their well-being."

Kind Regards,
Sean
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.