Topic Title: Stand-Up desks
Topic Summary: calculating a ROI
Created On: 08/31/2017 06:06 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
09/01/2017 01:57 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Tony Groves

Hi there,

I work in a low volume, high mix production environment. The office staff, play many roles to support the products we make.

We recently purchased 5 stand up desks, and the candidates following the trial, have all come back with positive feedback. They explained how they felt it improved their posture, so no more back issues as such, less distractions as they often leave the desks, so when they come back they are straight into it, and general morale was improved.

However i plan to try and quantify this somehow, hence the post. I would like to create another survey with the questions aimed towards something tangible. As given their roles and the business it is hard to quantify the improvements on productivity, and the return on investment.

I had a few ideas myself for example "how often do people need to view your screen in given day" as the desk negates the need for others to find a chair to view their screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
10/12/2017 02:56 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
MikeOwens
Michael Owens

Seems to me it would be hard to find "hard" ROI on stand up desks.

But maybe you could do something like measuring the amount of inertia eliminated -- people that sit tend to stay sitting as long as possible. Then translate that to an increase in time spent doing VA work on the Gemba. For example: Average office worker spent 4 hours/day at desk sitting vs 4 hours moving, now spends 2 hours/day at desk and 6 hours moving.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.