Home > Forums
Topic Title: Question regarding WIP inventory while developing future state VSM.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/17/2016 09:11 PM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
03/18/2016 11:22 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
HimanshuWaidya
Himanshu Waidya

Hello,

I am a student trying to learn how to develop a future state value stream map. I would like to know how to estimate WIP (both quantity and time spent in-between any two given processes) for future state VSM. I am having a hard time understanding how these numbers are calculated and based on what. Can anyone please explain?

Thank you.
07/25/2016 10:25 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
PraveenMahendr
Praveen Mahendran

Hi, usually the future VSM is something that how and what you need to achieve. If its a single piece flow is your target then there should not be any WIP in stations. If you are trying to improve the flow not single piece flow then you should consider the overall WIP as target. for Eg. 200 items are in WIP and your target is 150 then you should think of reducing the WIP in stations which are not bottleneck and does not affects the production, and then aim for reducing the bottlneck WIP based on KANBAN.

Hope it helps
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.