Topic Title: I need help with this value stream mapping
Topic Summary: VSM
Created On: 11/13/2019 06:52 PM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
11/14/2019 10:24 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
JudithPD
Judith Daniels

Hello everyone
I would like to request your help since I have several questions about the value stream mapping of a lock, the information is as follows the lock consists of 2 parts each part has five processes, the first part that has 5 processes has imported components and components made in the plant with their repective processes the second part has 5 processes with imported components and components made in the plant tío My questions are these:
1. the processes of the components made here in the plant have to be mapped ?
2. How the processes of imported components are mapped?
3. Value stream mapping must be handled for each part or it can be made un one vsm?
4. For the components that are imported we have different suppliers, how is that placed?
it would help me a lot if you would show me by drawing
12/03/2019 09:45 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Robert_Simonis
Robert Simonis

A value stream map creates a map of one component or part from start to finish. A VSM does not show every process, or every part, but a process flow diagram does. If you are making a VSM, which component are you following through the value stream? The answers to your questions then become simple - if the part does not go through that process, it is not on the VSM - the other components are not on the VSM - Parts from other suppliers are ignored. The "trick", if here is one, is that the part you select should be representative of the value stream and that by improving it's flow, you improve the value steam. Many choose to VSM the most expensive component with the idea that improving the flow of the most money, we improve inventory turns and cash flow. If you want to show the relationship between every process and every component, use a process flow map or process flow diagram.
12/03/2019 09:45 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Robert_Simonis
Robert Simonis

What are you trying to visualize? Value Stream Mapping follows one item from start to finish. The approach is that be improving the value stream for that item, you will be improving the value stream overall. That item could be representative of the value stream (it goes through all process steps), or could be the most expensive item in the assembly (thus, when you improve it's flow, you have reduced the carrying costs and increased inventory turns for that assembly). If you want to visualize the entire process, and all components, you want to use a process flow diagram (PFD) or process flow chart. The VSM visualizes the time and value add of a piece, and PFD usually do not. With the PFD you could calculate the inventory turns for that group of components that make up the assembly and compare it to the total value added process steps.
02/12/2020 09:31 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
BilelTaleb
Bilel Taleb

Steps to utilizing a Value Stream Mapping:
1. Select a Product Family
2. Form a Team to "go & see" (Gemba)
3. Understand Customer Demand
4. Map the high level process and identify areas of opportunities for improvement
4.1 Process flow
4.2 Material Flow
4.3 Information Flow
5. Collect data & calculate Total Product Cycle Time
6. Analyse map to determine opportunities for improvement
6.1 Identify Bottelnecks and other flow impediments
6.2 Brainstorm actions to eliminate waste and add value
7. Creat a "Future State" map to visualize the desired and realistic next state.
8. Develop an Action Plan to move towards future state.