Topic Title: Value Stream Mapping
Topic Summary: WIP count
Created On: 03/09/2020 03:04 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
03/10/2020 08:56 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Ruth85
Genara Prescendo

I'm working on my first value stream mapping and I'm struggling to understand how the WIP before the first operation should be calculated.
I went to the shop floor and counted the stock waiting to be processed before the first operation. However, I know that there is more stock available in our warehouse. Shouldn't I count the entire on-hand stock?
03/17/2020 11:11 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
DannyLuo
Danny Luo

It is a good question. I think it should belong to WIP if the items are transferred to production department from warehouse by formal working order.
04/08/2020 12:40 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
ChaseSavage
Chase Savage

Because VSMs are meant to be a snapshot in time I think you should only count the material waiting to be processed. The material available in the warehouse is at least one step removed from your process. If you feel your VSM is not addressing the opportunities in your process you need it to, consider expanding your VSM to incorporate the process of material transfer from warehouse stock to original process.
05/07/2020 08:58 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
David Apple

You don't tell us anything about your map.
I usually map dock door to dock door, therefore I include any raw material that is purchased and any finish goods not shipped. Theoretically there is no WIP before the first process because it is not "in process" it is only relocated raw material.
What really matters is what you do with the inventory information that you gather. If you hope to streamline the flow of material from the supplier through receiving to the first operation, include all that information on the map.
Remember, you are trying to compress the timeline from beginning to end of the process. But you can't do it all at once. Determine what is in the scope of your VSM project, and what is excluded.