Topic Title: Lean challenge
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/19/2019 10:07 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
03/19/2019 01:46 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
LeanMarion
Ma Trev

I work for a company that is just getting familiar with lean.

Last year we launched 4 big lean projects in different departments (supply chain, engineering & purchasing) to show that the concept can be applied anywhere.

This year we would like to go even further in our deployement by inviting employees to think about lean initiatives in their jobs. Hence we have thought about launching a lean challenge across the company.
As creativity is not my biggest strength, I am willing to gather any good idea or experience our dear lean community would have to share. Has anyone created or participated in a lean challenge?
03/23/2019 04:36 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
AaronHunt
Aaron Hunt

My favorite Lean Challenge was about 10 years ago. We were a machining company with 21 locations. Knowing that machine changeover was a key driver (or limiter) of our profitability and growth, the CEO issued a challenge: Any team that could take a product from a changeover time of 8 hours to less than 10 minutes (SMED) would be featured on the weekly report out, the video would be on the website, and the best team would win one of the annual awards.

The best team went from an average of 10 hours between products to just under 60 seconds. They joked about "Single Minute" not meaning "One minute or less", but once they got to 15 minutes, they said "Why not?" and figured out how to make it happen.

The capacity they created for their team and factory was incredible.

I often think of Paul Akers at FastCap as well - all the videos he and his team do about quick Lean improvements is very powerful.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.