Home > Forums
Topic Title: Do LEAN audits/assessments help or hurt?
Topic Summary: Audits are the worst, but do they work to influence change?
Created On: 06/11/2019 10:07 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
06/11/2019 11:15 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
McSteve
mckay womack

Does anyone out there have examples of companies that have successfully adopted LEAN Management principles to a high level, but without an audit or assessment?

-OR-

is there anyone out there that has seen dramatic improvement in LEAN culture that came as a direct result of performing LEAN Audits?

I'm not looking for advice. Instead, I'm looking for examples in either camp that help answer the question of whether or not such audits are useful
06/16/2019 10:32 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Robert_Simonis
Robert Simonis

I am not sure what the Lean Management Principles are, but the first examples that jump to mind are the uniformed US Army (not to be confused with the Department of the Army), Toyota, and Menlo Innovations. Organizations that create a culture to identify problems and to permanently solve problems with coaching and mentoring seem to arrive at very similar end points. I would even go so far as to say that those organizations that are using audits and assessments may adopt the tools and language of lean, but rarely or never internalize it.
06/16/2019 10:32 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
snehilprakash
snehil prakash

For me it personally hurt. You must look for a different project management methodologies for better product development. Well, have s short study over this about lean and how other methods are better and doesn't hurt.
06/26/2019 08:54 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
EileenBranscome
Eileen Branscome

Depends on how audits are presented, conducted, and shared. Frontline staff engagement and their relationship with their supervisor are key factors.

Qualitative "audits" are valuable to reinforce the process change and contribute to sustainability. For example, "the phone calls for prescription refills are ringing off the hook anymore"
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.