Home > Forums
Topic Title: Hall of fame of lean companies
Topic Summary: Who are the top lean companies?
Created On: 11/26/2019 08:50 AM
Linear : Threading
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
12/03/2019 09:51 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Thomo
Thomas Fuchslocher

Dear lean community,

Lean has been an widely accepted and widely spread management practice for quiet some time now. There is no doubt that Toyota is very successful with this approach. What interests me is, if other companies than Toyota have managed to successfully and sustainably implement lean. And if this is giving them a clear competitive advantage.
I know this is difficult to assess and therefore difficult to answer. But no doubt a worthwhile question to ask.
If you know about a related study or publication I would be very grateful if you could share with me.
12/11/2019 04:42 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Robert_Simonis
Robert Simonis

Toyota does not call themselves "Lean". Many companies that describe themselves as "Lean" really aren't (or they are thin, which is code for under-resourced and under invested). I think the best you can do is anecdotal evidence. There are some companies that I consider to be on the cutting edge, but they may not be WallStreet darlings, and there are some very commercially successful companies and organizations that should not be called Lean by any stretch of the definition. Some organizations I look up as "Lean" include McDonald's, Delta Airlines, the US Army (the uniformed service), Jabil (contract circuit boards), Spectrum Health (hospital network), and Menlo (the software factory in Ann Arbor). There are others, but difficult to quantify or compare for purposes of research.
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.