Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/03/2013 03:30 PM
Linear : Threading
1 2 Next Last unread
Send to a Friend Send to a Friend
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
05/03/2013 04:13 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
KeithL
Keith Lodahl

We are planning to start Gemba Walks with upper management in about a month.They will be starting in our manufacturing areas and moving to other areas as we have the technique down pat. I read in the archives suggestions about focusing on the seven wastes, and I also saw Jim Womac's questions for walks in a new plant. Neither seem to be appropriate in this case.

I am reluctant to focus on the wastes, at least at first. I think we need to be learning from operators what they are doing and not gigging them for waste, or bad 5-S scores ( I know it isn't personal, but it will seem like it to them). And while the questions Jim asks are great assessing a flow, and I think we will use them early on to see the state of our company, using them every day may not be fruitful.

I am wondering if anyone has a daily/weekly Gemba Walk checklist they would be willing to share. I am willing to share what we come up with when we are done.

Thanks in advance
05/06/2013 06:03 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
pc2
P. Cartagena

Originally posted by: KeithL
... I am reluctant to focus on the wastes, at least at first. I think we need to be learning from operators what they are doing and not gigging them for waste, or bad 5-S scores ( I know it isn't personal, but it will seem like it to them). ...

You should never gig anybody for waste or 5S issues found on gemba walks.

The whole point is to learn, to discover, to teach, to grow and to improve together.

So, you're right. Don't focus on waste. Focus on learning, coaching and growing.

(And keep in mind that upper management has a lot more to learn and a lot farther to grow than the operators do.)

pc2
05/06/2013 06:04 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
robertbaird
robert baird

Hi Keith

You are certainly on the correct path, Gemba walk objectives are unique to each and every organization and I like your statement of "we need to be learning from operators". The Gemba walk checklists must e developed by the management team and designed to check on progress towards achieving the strategy. Each of the management levels and departments should have a different check sheet but remember they must all be aligned with achieving the strategy. For example if the strategy focus is quality a Supervisor's check sheet might be daily checks on the yield loss, observation of quality control, reviewing the scrap for Type I errors, and improvement projects related to quality improvements. The Supervisor's Department Manager's check sheet might be confirming the Supervisors check sheet completion and again review of improvement projects. The Engineering Manager's check sheet might be checking machine settings, material specifications, and again, improvement project progress. There should even be a check sheet for HR on training results and employee introduction related to quality, everyone contributes!
Once the check sheets are aligned with the strategy the next step (leaving it out is fatal) is to design the shop floor with visual management. Without this the managers will not see much value, the Gemba walk will take too long and managers will stop participating. The visual management will also get the Operators involved and start to see value because they are contributing to the strategy and business success. The visual management (measures related to the strategy) will be posted by the Operators, with daily updates. The Operators will take ownership and the management can provide Support, Teach, and Promote the strategy and culture (what I call Gemba STP), at a fast pace.
Print this message

Author Icon
jwall73
Jeremy Wall

Since you are just starting out you will be looking for a lot of things. If you want to focus the management team on one area it would not be a bad idea. However do not omit anything you might see outside of the scope of that walk. The deadly wastes are never a bad idea, nor 5S, if the operators are lacking in these areas you must point it out, but don't gig them for it. Instead, let them know how this improvement can help them.
Print this message

Author Icon
Mike_Thelen
Michael Thelen

This is one of our older gemba walk discussion planner, but it may give you some food for thought.

05/08/2013 04:13 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
LeanSpec
Dave Kippen

Here is what we use. It does have an 8 waste focus, an Hour by Hour board focus and "other improvements". I wanted to keep it simple for now as we learn the process.
05/09/2013 03:54 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
LMFM12
Don Moritz

Great, simple form. Thanks for sharing
05/09/2013 03:54 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
KeithL
Keith Lodahl

Thanks to all for input. I think we will land on an guided observations sheet with our own individual characteristics.

One question for Lean Spec: What is an HOH Board? I am drawing a blank.

Thanks!

Keith
05/10/2013 03:05 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
LION
Emmanuel Jallas

Hi Keith,

Purpose, People, Process

Gemba walks Purpose :
(Manager : Is the factory working as I think or assumes it is working ?)

* Is it a good day ? (are we making the numbers ?)
** Are we shipping according to customers - both internal and external - expectations ? (quantity, quality, delay, cost)
** Are we producing according to today's budget ?
** Are we making money ?

I guess you are not making the numbers.
(Manager : where shall I help ?)

People :
- Do people understand what they are doing, with what results, and why ?
- Do people understand what their biggest problem is ?
* Why don't we ship ?, Why are'nt we making today's budget ?, Why are'nt we making money ?
** S, Q, D, C ?
** 4M ?

I guess you're not fighting your biggest problem.
(Manager : where shall I lead, train, teach ?)

Process :
What are we doing about our biggest problem ?
* Is the process safe ? (S)
* Is the output 100% RFTOT ? (right first time on time) (Q,D)
* Are we making money ? (Cost)
** Do we have data ?
*** About Materials (Right Quality, quantity, on time ?)
*** About Machines ? ( Are they reliable, Available, Maintened, used to produce only what the customer expects, ....?)
*** About Methods ( Are we doing everytime the same good (SQDC) way, with the same good (SQDC) results ? ie: According to Standardized Work ?)
*** About Man ( Are people trained, improving, flexible,...)

I guess other people will improve this list.

Hope it helps,

Emmanuel
05/10/2013 03:05 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
LeanSpec
Dave Kippen

HOH is our Hour Over Hour boards. The line operators track their production to the goal, and any problems they have each hour. Its a great tool for the leadership team to know what is happening real time. No need to wait for a report at the end of the day.

I also attached a picture of our "Gemba Board". After our walk, we write all the improvement ideas on sticky notes and place them on the board in the row of who will own the follow up. The top of the grid has dates. The note goes in the date we expect to have it completed.
05/20/2013 02:39 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Robert_Simonis
Robert Simonis

Toyota has been very good at creating crisis and a sense of urgency. Examples of this are by removing cards from the kanban (lowering the amount of inventory) to show were the weakness in the system. Another example is focusing on where they are not successful or where their competition is more successful. Toyota is constantly worried about the Korean carmakers and that they are growing so quickly; they worry about the Tata Nano and the idea that Toyota is not producing a car competitive in the emerging markets, they constantly worry. They even have a term for it: Hansei (thoughtful reflection).
1. Make a crisis
2. Never waste a crisis
05/20/2013 02:39 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
GRK
Gunamalai Kathiresan

Thank u DAVE for sending image on Gemba walk board. Keep posting information like the one you have done, Really it helps & motivates us in practising best manufacturing practices in a very simple way. need your e mail address for further correspondence. I learnerd lot through this forum & continue to learn.
GRK
grkathiresan@gmail.com
08/07/2013 11:20 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Ran Perhar

Subject: Image of the Gemba Board
Would you be able to kindly provide the details of the contents of all the clipboards/three-ring binders.
Thank you
Ran Perhar
08/16/2013 05:17 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
anramasu
Dan Williams

Hi Keith,
I am relatively new to the Lean arena. I have been doing VSM's and Kaizen work for the last several months. I have been in a specific design group for about 3 years. During one of the Kaizen events, we spent one solid week on the manufacturing floor. I learned more in that week just watching than I did in 3 years. I took that idea to management asking them to consider putting the new designers and engineers on the floor for a week. That was met with ...that is a good idea, but... anyway, watch and learn before making any recommendations. That was a very big eye opener for me.

One of the Lean classes that I was involved in mentioned that the sensai would go to the manufacturing floor and stand in a specific area saying nothing but watching. Excellent idea!
08/21/2013 04:43 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
LeanSpec
Dave Kippen

Sorry I have been absent for a while. Glad everyone found my posts helpful! The 3 ring binders along the top: The left most binder has the standard work for the gemba walk. The next 5 are the route we walk around the shop monday through friday. The last one is a metric sheet showing # of implemented ideas by type by month. The clipboards are just the notes sheets. I wanted to make the accessable so the managers could pull them off and take them on the walks and have something to take notes on. More info attached!

09/24/2013 07:29 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Rick Eitel

Dave,
Can you please post the checklist you posted on 5/8? The link seems to be missing.
Thanks.
09/27/2013 11:09 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Hutchinson
Kevin G

Dave,
Can you please post the checklist you posted on 5/8? The link seems to be missing.
Thanks.

Rick,

You will find the missing Checklist bellow.

K.

10/04/2013 02:51 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
LeanSpec
Dave Kippen

Here it is Rick

11/05/2013 02:15 PM
Print this message

Author Icon
Kaizenguy
jason libby

I have been utilizing this philosophy in our model line. It is a very powerful tool but only if the resources exist to solve the problems created by the crisis. Thanks for the post.
02/10/2014 06:35 AM
Print this message

Author Icon
Trini
Margaret Ann Lee-Harvison

Hi Dave: I cannot see either of your attachements in this (Gemba Walk Cheklist) post:

On 5/8/13 you posted: Here is what we use. It does have an 8 waste focus, an Hour by Hour board focus and "other improvements". I wanted to keep it simple for now as we learn the process.

And on 5/10/13 you posted:

I also attached a picture of our "Gemba Board". After our walk, we write all the improvement ideas on sticky notes and place them on the board in the row of who will own the follow up. The top of the grid has dates. The note goes in the date we expect to have it completed.

Can you please send me those attachements? They might be very helpful to what I am doing.

Thank you,
Margaret Ann
FORUMS : Manufacturing : Gemba Walk checklist

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Note: These forums are moderated by the Lean Enterprise Institute. All posts are reviewed within 24-48 hours prior to appearing on the site. Views expressed in these forums do not necessarily represent the views of the Lean Enterprise Institute.