Managing to Learn at the Gemba (1 Day Class)
Writing an A3 involves going to see at the Gemba. But see what? And how? That takes practice.
Attendees observing the work at the gemba.
Attendees investigating a problem at the gemba.
This session builds capability to effectively observe the gemba in a purposeful way and to define a clear problem to solve. This is built off of the fundamental framework of A3 thinking from Managing to Learn by John Shook.
During the course of this intensive, one day class, learners will be introduced to the book and concepts of the A3 framework of Managing to Learn (MTL). They will either be taken to observe and investigate a real problem to solve at a local gemba site or use a manufacturing simulation. Using the approach of MTL, they will clarify, investigate, grasp the current situation, and consider countermeasures to the specific problem they are working to solve.
- Build capability to problem solve based on the A3/Managing to Learn framework: Background - Current State - Target State - Root Cause Analysis - Countermeasures - Plan
- Sharpen capability to effectively "grasp the situation" of the gemba
- Learn to coach based on pursuit of the facts
Perhaps most importantly, they will learn techniques to coach one another on the specific problems they are working on. This coaching will focus on how to ask questions to pursue the facts of the gemba.
Who Should Attend:
- Line managers, from frontline supervisors to managers, directors to vise presidents and other executives
- Staff resources for coaching, problem-solving, quality, and continuous improvement
Additional Note: Each participant will receive a copy of Managing to Learn in the workshop. .
To maximize your learning experience we recommend that prior to attending this program you take following workshop or have a good understanding of the concepts presented within it.
Sign up to be notified when this workshop is offered again
Bring this workshop to your company with On-Site Training Learn more »