Getting the Right Things Done (2 Day Class)
Companies trying to make the lean leap often make the mistake of taking on too many initiatives at once and not aligning their activities to actual needs. Failing to complete the activities leads to delay, discouragement, and diverts resources from activities that should — and can — be accomplished.
Strategy Deployment, also called policy deployment, hoshin kanri, or hoshin planning, is Toyota's strategic planning system. It matches available resources with key activities so only activities that are desirable, important, and achievable are authorized. Strategy Deployment aligns functions and activities with critical strategic goals by developing — usually through an annual planning process — clear and aligned actions, timelines, measures, and responsibilities. It develops a process for answering questions such as: What are our critical needs? How do we focus our resources? How do we involve and motivate our team members? How do we sustain our activities? How do we learn from our successes and our failures?
Strategy Deployment provides the support structure for the weekly, annual, and long-term cycles of the PDCA method.
Our activities are often hindered or even crippled by horizontal and vertical disconnection in knowledge flow. Strategy Deployment makes knowledge flow by applying the scientific method of PDCA at all levels. It encourages clear thinking, breaks down barriers, and facilitates cross-functional management. It becomes the nervous system of the learning organization.
This workshop will help you understand:
- Why Strategy Deployment is the "brain and nervous system" of lean
- What Plan-Do-Check-Adjust looks like at each management level and what processes are required to support it
- How to develop clear concise A3 strategies for the critical few goals
- How to use "catchball" to achieve alignment and focus both within and between management levels
- How to sustain your lean transformation in the long term
In this two-day, hands-on workshop, you will use interactive case studies and exercises to learn the proven strategic planning system called Strategy Deployment. You will learn how to focus and align activities, how to involve all levels, and how to apply the scientific method of plan, do, check, act (PDCA) to consistently achieve required results. Attendees are encouraged to bring actual planning problems to work on. Specific topics include:
- The philosophy and structure of the Strategy Deployment system
- Problems with conventional planning
- The 9 wastes of knowledge
- The PDCA cycle in Strategy Deployment
- Use of "catchball" technique to create shared understanding and alignment
- The pacemaker department concept
- A3 thinking
- How to make policy deployment part of your culture
- Required support activities and management systems for policy deployment
Who Should Attend:
Those who would benefit from attending this workshop include:
- Leaders at all levels
- Organizations that want to institute change company wide
- Organizations that have had experience implementing lean tools/techniques in some areas of their organization
Finally, you will get the most benefit if you have some experience implementing lean changes in an organization.
Sign up to be notified when this workshop is offered again
Bring this workshop to your company with On-Site Training Learn more »