Lean Product Development: Delivering New Products, Faster and Better (1 Day Class)
- Understand how the concepts and tools are applied in lean product developmen
- Learn how Toyota and other companies implementing lean have evolved a product development process to maximize knowledge growth and minimize lead time
- Learn about the most common problems we have observed about product development in many companies across diverse industries
- Learn how to create fast learning cycle teams that will enable your organization to reduce product development lead time and increase throughput
- Learn how to reduce the time for learning through lean product development concepts
- Discover ways you can spread lean thinking across interdependent functional areas to improve the entire development process
Many companies have applied lean thinking to manufacturing or service processes. Some have experienced big performance gains through standardization, elimination of waste, and problem-solving. But applying lean principles to Product Development requires a different mindset and totally different approach. Manufacturing (and some service value streams) are transactional; they can be managed through standard tools and principles. Product Development is about creating knowledge and requires different skills.
LPPD requires that you separate knowledge creation from transactional processes and learn as fast as you can, upfront, before ever executing the detailed work of design. It requires that you engage the people doing the work in a process for understanding and improving those specific areas that are contributing to performance problems.
In this workshop you’ll learn how to define the performance problem of your product development process. You’ll learn how to focus on the few areas of improvement that can make significant and rapid improvements to your organization. You’ll design a team process for fast cycles of learning and experience how to continually improve your learning. And you’ll learn how to prioritize and run select experiments on active products, using the discipline of continuous PDCA. And most importantly, you’ll learn how to learn fast, in cross-functional teams and reduce delays and rework associated with learning.
- Knowledge creation
- Fast cycles of learning
- Problem definition for product development
- Design breakdown
- Management of learning
- Narrowing process
- Reuse of knowledge
- Handling interruptions
Who Should Attend?
- Engineering managers interested in improving the product development process through application of lean principles for learning
- Leaders wanting to understand how to apply these lean principles in their organization
- Managers with experience in lean transformations and/or product development
- Leaders with a role in developing new products/services for their organization
Prerequisite: At a minimum, people attending this workshop should have a basic understanding of Value Stream Mapping.
Sign up to be notified when this workshop is offered again
Bring this workshop to your company with On-Site Training Learn more »