Success and effective execution take more than setting a goal and a positive attitude. You need a systematic, teachable way of proceeding. The Improvement Kata is a methodical way of overcoming obstacles on the way to a challenging objective. It's learned through practice.
This reading list is divided into two topics:
- Books about a systematic way (pattern, routine, kata) of thinking and operating that is effective for making progress in dynamic and unpredictable conditions
- Books about how to teach and learn new ways through deliberate practice, usually with coaching input.
We'll keep adding to this list as we come across other books about management kata, improvement kata, learning kata and how to practice them.
Books for routines and skills for moving forward in dynamic and unpredictable conditions.
Managing to Learn: Using the A3 management process
Opposable Mind: Winning Through Integrative Thinking
Books for teaching and acquiring skills through deliberate practice.
- About the Kata Research »
- Introduction to the Improvement Kata »
- Download 5 questions template »
- About the University of Michigan Toyota Kata Course »