Problem Solving to Align Purpose, Process and People (2 Day Class)
Respect for People
This 2-day workshop has been designed to emphasize a critical role that the scientific method of PDCA plays in helping organizations successfully implement their strategies, create the environment for continuous improvement and develop people enabling them to solve increasingly complex problems.
A 2-day format uses the experiential approach that takes you, step by step, through an 8-step problem solving process.
During the program, you will discuss what it takes to make lean the way to do business rather than "a program", a company long-term strategy rather than a tactical approach that can change any time, and what role the Toyota problem-solving approach plays in creating the lean culture.
Bring your business problems with you and work on them in class as you learn to apply lean thinking to the problem solving process. We will teach you how to create a summarized document of your thought process which follows PDCA and allows you to share the "need to know" information with others in your organization. This document which is most often referred to as "A3 problem solving tool" can also be used for:
- Strategy Deployment
- Coaching and Development
- Gaining Consensus/Engagement/Buy-In (Nemawashi)
- Encouragement of Gemba (Actual work-area) visits (GO-SEE)
- Establishing a common language for the organization
Topics to discuss
Day 1: Creating the Culture of Problem Solving
- Values, principles and beliefs that guide daily work activities and interactions in the lean organization.
- Lean as a philosophy and way to do business vs. a short-term improvement program.
- Tangible guidelines to be used throughout the problem solving process to bring the company values to life.
- A "line of sight" between daily "value-adding" activities and organization's Hoshins (business plan) or KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) and its impact on problem solving.
- Micro vs. macro PDCA thinking.
- Recognize gaps in your own environments/culture based on class discussions and exercises
Day 2: Applying an 8-Step Process to Solving Business Problems
Learn and practice a problem-solving process based on the scientific method of PDCA (Plan-Do-Check-Act). This process helps everybody involved in solving a problem see it "through the same lens" and take actions to solve it at the root cause.
Most of the work in class will focus on the first 4 steps of the problem-solving process as you will learn to apply it to your own business problem. Steps 5-8 will be discussed in sufficient detail to prepare you to complete the process when you return to your organization.
The 8-step process is as follows:
Step 1 – Problem Clarification
Step 2 –Problem Breakdown
Step 3 – Target Setting
Step 4 – Root Cause Analysis
Step 5 – Developing Countermeasures
Step 6 – Seeing Countermeasures Through
Step 7 – Monitoring Process and Results
Step 8 – Standardizing and Sharing Successful Practices
Over the course of two days you will learn about:
- The key values and competencies critical to implementing and sustaining a problem solving culture based on the scientific method of PDCA.
- Problem Solving as a way to cascade the Hoshin/Strategy Deployment
As a result, you will be able to:
- Use a problem standardization process DAMI (Define, Achieve, Maintain, Improve)
- Use the 8-step problem-solving methodology and root cause analysis
- Use the A3 format to visualize your problem solving thinking
- Use a problem-solving flowchart template.
Send more than two people from your company and save $200 off each registration.
Sign up to be notified about future offerings of this workshop
Bring this workshop to your company with On-Site Training Learn more »