The process of reducing the amount of time needed to changeover a process from the last part for the previous product to the first good part for the next product.
The six basic steps in setup reduction are:
- Measure the total setup time in the current state.
- Identify the internal and external elements, calculating the individual times.
- Convert as many of the internal elements to external as possible.
- Reduce the time for the remaining internal elements.
- Reduce the time for the external elements.
- Standardize the new procedure.