Key Concepts of Lean (2 Day Class)
- This program will demonstrate the overall approach for implementing a lean transformation. You will have an insight into the lean management philosophy and methods as well as the organizational structure required for implementing lean in your organization.
- You will learn the key tools and how they fit together under a business system philosophy designed to continuously improve competitiveness by achieving the highest quality, lowest cost, and shortest lead time. You’ll understand why lean is fundamentally different from and superior to business models based on mass production.
This two-day workshop has been designed for individuals and teams that want to gain a better understanding of the components and underlying philosophy of lean, and how the elements and philosophy work together to create a Lean Enterprise.
The workshop is a mixture of lecture, videos, discussions, and a simulation.
This workshop will demonstrate how building the culture of continuous improvement depends on the alignment between Purpose, Process, People, and the scientific method of PDCA. You will look into the process for formulating and deploying an organizational strategy aimed at delivering maximum value to the customer, discuss the importance of making visible the horizontal flow of value to the customer, and learn about the critical importance of developing employee problem solving capabilities at all levels.
The factory simulation will help you understand the concepts of flow, pull, takt time, kaizen, work cell design, visual management and many others in a total business system context.
Small group discussions will provide an opportunity to share best practices, reflect on your learning, and develop new solutions to bring back to your organization.
Focusing on three key areas – People, Process and Purpose – the program explores how the alignment between those three creates a Lean Enterprise.
In this segment, you will learn how all functions, individuals, and systems work together to deliver true value to customers creating competitive advantage and lasting business results. Items covered include:
- Key values of lean
- True North and the Line of Sight to the organizational goals
- Hoshin Planning / Policy Deployment and its role as a management system in a Lean Enterprise
- The challenges organizations face in implementing a lean transformation and suggested methods to deal with those challenges
In order to get real sustainable results in safety, quality, cost, delivery, and morale, one must bring all the tools of lean to work together as a system. Items covered include:
- Stability, flow, leveling, pull, standard work
- Visual enterprise and how to manage your visual systems
- Value-streams and value-stream mapping as a continuous improvement tool
- Waste and continuous removal of waste
Lean is, at heart, a people-based system, and the success of any lean transformation depends on the engagement of every employee in the process for continuous business improvement, and their willingness and ability to solve increasingly complex problems. In the course of the program, we will discuss selection, training, involvement, and supervisory practices that create the foundation for lean. We will also discuss leadership mindsets and behaviors that support the development of the culture of continuous improvement.
PDCA (plan, do, check, act)
- PDCA as a discipline that holds all organizational processes together and improves them on a continuous basis
- The work of management to support PDCA
- Structured problem solving to close organizational gaps
- A3 as a problem solving, management and communication tool
- Lean management system
- The role of leaders in building the lean organization
Who Should Attend:
Individuals or teams with little to moderate experience and exposure to lean who are looking to increase their understanding; managers who want an understanding of the total scope of implementing lean.
- Michael Hoseus
- Dave LaHote
- David Meier
- Joe Murli
- Karl Ohaus
- Ernie Richardson
- Tracey Richardson
- Tom Shuker
Sign up to be notified when this workshop is available in your area
Bring this workshop to your company with On-Site Training Learn more »