The nonprofit Lean Enterprise Institute (LEI) will offer hands-on workshops April 29-May 2, 2014,on how to apply lean principles to supply chain, logistics, warehousing, and distribution processes.
The two workshops will take place at LeanCor’s operations center, 7660 Turfway Rd., Suite 200, Florence, KY, 41042, near Cincinnati, in order to combine classroom learning with practical, hands-on training. The schedule is:
Go and See the Lean Supply Chain, April 29-30
Attendees will learn how to apply lean principles to logistics and supply chain processes so the improvement process is a win-win for every company along the supply chain. Among the key concepts covered are:
- How to calculate the critical total cost of fulfillmentto make decisions that meet customer expectations at the lowest possible total cost, no matter where costs occur in the supply stream.
- How to value-stream map the supply chain to uncover opportunities for cutting costs, lead times, and inventory through the use of lean principles.
- How to develop customer and supplier measurement systems, break down cross-functional barriers, implement pull systems for material replenishment, and establish supply-chain visibility.
Instructor Robert Martichenko, LeanCor CEO, is a lean logistics veteran who received the Shingo Research and Professional Publication Award as co-author of the LEI workbook Building a Lean Fulfillment Stream.
Attendees will learn how to implement lean principles step-by-step in warehouse and distribution processes. During three rounds of a hands-on simulation, they will identify lean improvements, implement them, and measure their impact. Among the key concepts covered are:
- How to apply techniques such as lean storage, operational diagramming, workload planning, and visual management.
- How to develop small-batch work assignments, operational diagrams, and a work load plan to create a just-in-time operation based on leveled work, pull, and continuous flow.
- How to create the all-important standardized work for a lean warehouse.
Complete details about course content, instructors, discounts, and how to register are available by emailing email@example.com or calling (617) 871-2900.
LEI offers a weekly newsletter with lean management news and resources such as case studies, webinars, interviews with executives on lean leadership, and archives of essays by authors and lean management thought leaders John Shook, LEI CEO, and Jim Womack, LEI founder.
What Is Lean?
The terms lean manufacturing, lean production, or lean management refer to a complete business system for organizing and managing product development, operations, suppliers, customer relations, and the overall enterprise that requires less capital, material, space, time, or human effort to produce products and services with fewer defects to precise customer desires, compared with traditional modern management.
Lean Enterprise Institute
Lean Enterprise Institute Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit based in Cambridge, MA, makes things better through lean research, education, publishing, and conferences. Founded in 1997 by management expert James P. Womack, PhD, it supports other lean initiatives such as the Lean Education Academic Network, the Lean Global Network, and the Healthcare Value Network. Visit LEI at https://www.lean.org for more information.
LeanCor Supply Chain Group is a Third-Party Logistics (3PL) provider wholly dedicated to lean logistics. Services include lean third party logistics services, warehousing and facility management, training, and consulting.