- Jim Womack Explains the Origins — and Value — of Value-Stream Mapping
By Jim Womack
In this brief video, the LEI founder and senior advisor offers an introduction — or refresher — on how and why this essential practice helps lean practitioners see and improve their work processes.
- Understanding the Fundamentals of Value-Stream Mapping
By Lean Leaper
This overview explains the essential elements of this powerful lean practice, including:
- What is Value-Stream Mapping?
- Why Value-Stream Mapping is an Essential Practice
- Understanding the 4 Value-Stream Map Zones
- How Value-Stream Mapping Differs from Process Mapping
- A Closer Look at Process Data
- Value-Stream Mapping Icons
- 6 Guidelines for Moving Toward a Lean Value Stream
By Mike Rother and John Shook
Once you’re ready to use value-stream mapping to continuously improve your value streams, follow this advice from the authors of Learning to See, the workbook that introduced value-stream mapping to thousands of people around the world.
- Tips for Getting the Most from Value-Stream Mapping
By Judy Worth
Before you map your value stream, review and keep in mind these tips for ensuring your organization reaps the performance gains it can deliver — including improvements in performance and teamwork.
- Keep It Simple: Value-Stream Mapping at the Gemba
By Dave LaHote
A veteran lean coach shares a story showing that even simple and quick value-stream mapping can be hugely helpful when you include the people doing the work in the mapping process.
- Apples & Oranges: Value-Stream Mapping in a Low-Volume/High-Mix Environment
Here’s how one LVHM company mapped its complex value streams — and discovered the path to next-level productivity that enabled it to transform the business for an entire range of products, from losing money to making a decent profit.
- Why Value-Stream Mapping is Essential to Product and Process Development
By John Drogosz
Learn about a proven way to help cross-functional teams clearly “see” their work and achieve their full potential.
- Why You Need to Map the Extended Value Streams
By Dan Jones
This case study from the LEI workbook Seeing the Whole Value Stream shows how the practice can help businesses optimize their global sourcing strategy, creating win-win-win outcomes for everyone involved.
Download the ebook for offline reading:
Learning to See Using
Discover how to move from a scatter-shot spot-improvement approach — or worse, firefighting — that leads nowhere to a process that helps you develop a blueprint of improvements that will achieve your organization’s strategic objectives.